8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - "Cored"

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Cored"
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:23 pm 
Film Expert

[set5_b/set5_b/iagree.gif] Rock on Mike and Dan!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:29 pm 
Film Expert

Yes, again as I said I like Osi, and have never had any issues with him, but I believe all of us have to be careful about throwing threats out since it is a small community, it is especially troubling to threaten someone if, for instance, I was the one who might have been stretching the truth...The fact that he was selling Fred's films makes the reels/cores a separate issue because if Fred was unaware of the removal of the films from reels to potentially sell the reels separately, then that wouldn't be very nice to Fred, since it could be profit that would not have to be shared with the person whose merchandise it was in the first place. I never saw Osi selling reels on ebay, is there a way to check back someone's history of sales for an unlimited time period?

Unfortunately I think Osi may be in financial trouble and thought by helping Fred get top dollar for his films on ebay he could get a commission, which is perfectly legit and a win win for both parties, but perhaps he saw an opportunity to make a little extra cash on the side for himself, without Fred knowing and got caught with his fingers in the cookie jar, which ultimately is not very nice to Fred.. It is too bad because in the end it can only hurt Osi's friendship with Fred who trusted him with his films...

I don't envy the poor folks getting feature length super 8 films without reels or cores, or anything to help them get the film back onto a reel so they can watch....Its like purchasing a new elmo GS-1200 but the seller said somewhere in the description that it didn't come with a lens, and then 3 months later sells an elmo 1.0 lens...No laws are broken , but it is what you might call "bad form"

Waaaaay back in the day in Classic Film Collector Sam Rubin had a column called "Collectors Court" where he would act as a third party and air grievances between sellers and buyers, I think the forums have the potential to be a fair and neutral party in such discrepancies, but sadly this is rarely the case.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

Dino, Fred did not know that Osi was taking the films off of the reels to sell. Fred told me this.

The link to Osi's threat thread is directly connected to me questioning him about the cores. No one is throwing threats out except Osi. If you can find any threats that I made please let me know.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:46 pm 
Film Expert

no worries I wasn't implying you made any threats Dan [set5_b/set5_b/hurray.gif]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:48 pm 
Film Expert

Quote:
...but I believe all of us have to be careful about throwing threats out since it is a small community,...

You're, of course, absolutely correct, Dino.

I never threatened. I asked questions which were uncomfortable for Osi and probably for everyone else who was observing.
:smile:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:07 pm 
Film Expert

Jerrye Lail wrote:
Osi's misleadings are over looked by the Administrators and moderators. A free ticket if you will.

Yes.

I think, at this point, this is what has annoyed me most.

Financial difficulties? I've been there. It never caused me to be dishonest or to willfully mislead people for my own benefit.

The fact that Osi just continues to post as if nothing has happened just perpetuates the lie. He has even remained as a moderator on one of the forums??? What kind of community is that?

This is all pretty obvious stuff, folks. There's no mystery to be solved anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

This post was originally two posts up page. I was on my wife's computer and did not notice I was logged in as her. :mrgreen:

Dino I think you are giving Osi the benefit of the doubt. He certainly isn't going to get top dollar for a Derann print like gwtw by selling it using screenshots from another print and without reels. Derann prints are hot as pistol on the sale market right now.

Like Mike said, Osi's misleadings are over looked by the Administrators and moderators. A free ticket if you will. It is all tied together: the personal attacks, threats, misleading Fred, the forum members, etc. If he had spend this much time and energy selling ethically, he would make a tidy profit and all would be happy. If he he is having financial difficulties, it does not excuse misleading the film community.

Dino, no offense taken. Just trying help out with this rather large body of posting that went on :D

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:51 pm 
Film Expert

Incidentally, look how quickly people were ready to accept the "Well, Screw You, Here's my Platter Ona Plank" video as absolution for Osi.
The only thing that video proves is that he can loosely wind 200ft of film on and off of that contraption. Does anyone here with an ounce of film-collecting sense think that he could use that thing to view and, subsequently, tightly wind (whilst cleaning at the same time :shock: ) 600ft of film back onto it, ready for sale? The apparatus barely stayed still on the table with that small amount of film on it. Come on! All of us have been in the game long enough.

But, rather than deal with the fact that Osi might be dishonest, people immediately grabbed hold of this as vindication for him.
One collector, who shall remain nameless, has stated privately to me that he would rather remain neutral than have to deal with Osi being dishonest. What kinda beans are they?
:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:23 pm 
Film Expert

Dino...to answer something you asked I'm not sure of how you look up old sales on ebay but back in Nov of 2013 Osi sold 4 Elmo 1200' reels on the 8mm Forum in the sales section. And that is fine, but he has said a couple times recently that he needs some reels....he had 4 beautiful reels, why didn't he keep 'em?

Like Mike said, this all has been pretty easy to see. No mystery.

Bill :smile:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:54 pm 

Not a syllable of the entire mess surprises me; I've had zero dealings with Mr. Osgood since 2009, exactly the same time I blocked him from any of my ebay auctions. It's interesting: although it has been nearly five years-- the old adage 'what goes around comes around' is certainly true. And, kudos to Dan and Mick for doing exactly the right thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next