8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Any Good Finds Lately?

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Any Good Finds Lately?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:39 pm 

Anyone come across a good find lately? Due to my business schedule, I miss a lot of the weekend garage sale and flea market activity in the area. My wife, however, is another story and lives for weekend morning excursions to buy stuff we don't need. Whenever I get a call from her on a Saturday morning, I know she found something I could want for my collection and is checking in with me...Well, yesterday she phoned and it was a "projector...regular and super 8 and it's in the box." Hmm...I'm not a real big fan of dual 8 projectors, but the fact it was in a box gave me some hope. She also knows my rule to never pay more than $20 for a projector unless it says "sound" on it. Several hours later she appears with a minty mint Sankyo Dualux 2000H which was indeed in the box, in its dust cover and complete with all original packaging material. What a jewel of a machine: it worked perfectly and best of all has the variable speed control so I no longer have an excuse not to transfer my home movie footage to digital. A pleasant surprise and a nice addition to my collection.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Any Good Finds Lately?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

That Sankyo is very desirable projector and well made. In the box too!

I once bought a 16mm Pageant projector from a thrift store for,you guessed it, $20. It was in like new condition also. I got back into film back in 1995 when I visited a thrift shop and found 25 educational film, mostly from the 1950s and two B&H 500 series projectors, both working. It was half price day and I bought the package for $75. I still have the projector and most of the films.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:54 pm 
Film Expert

I should have the new (old) snack bar fountain here next week.

Attachments:
pepsi.jpg
pepsi.jpg [ 16.38 KiB | Viewed 10643 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:21 am 
Film Expert

I just bought 11 8mm films for $5 on craigslist. There were three 400' Disney and the rest are 200' cartoons. I felt guilty, so I bought his projector for $10.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:33 am 
Film Expert

I got some nice odd/obscure 16mm machines, a MICROCINE projector that threads on the right hand side, and a New Zealand made KELVIN CHALLENGER 16mm projector which looks like a RCA 400 but is more commercial looking, both projectors where for free! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:39 pm 

The price was right, Patrick. How are they running?
Weekend "find" note in this neck of the woods...(ok, it's not exactly movie related, but I could put this stuff to good use in the screening room booth)...My son lives in Vermont and insisted my wife return to a garage sale and fill her SUV up with 40 year old stereo equipment and give the fellow $200. I just finished unloading the stuff and this guy was a real Sansui buff. Haven't checked everything out, but there is a nice looking Sansui AU 999 amp, a Sansui TU-999 tuner and a Sansui RA-500 reverb unit. Plus a Sony turntable still in box, a Dual turntable, some kind of cassette deck I haven't examined and a pair of VERY HEAVY speakers: LDL 749's, the Bose 901 clones that resulted in a court case. Sorry to report no films or projectors this week, but my sound system has been upgraded a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:19 pm 
Film Expert

Craig said:
Quote:
What a jewel of a machine: it worked perfectly and best of all has the variable speed control so I no longer have an excuse not to transfer my home movie footage to digital.

Craig, are you transferring your movies to DVD yourself? Im looking for tips on doing this also. How did you find it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:09 am 

Mark, the home movies still aren't transferred using the Sankyo. From what little I have done, I prefer to use a tripod for the camera and record off a wall.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:17 am 

An adventure day yesterday as I tracked down a Craig's List all 16mm offering. Thanks to a tip post on another forum, I learned of the ad, contacted the seller and she immediately accepted my offer for an Ampro Premier 20 and original speaker, as well as 10-12 reels of film. It's all still in my car trunk and I will check it out today. I did do a quick look see of the reels: they appear to be very old educationals and one is VS, several are musty smelling (Filmrenew bath time) but the Gone With The Wind reels are odorless and appear to be spotless IB Tech (just kidding). Anyone else come across anything cool lately?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:54 pm 
Film Expert

Finally got me a print of Disneys MAD DOCTOR from Paul Foster. I've been after a print for a long time. Looking forward to it.
[set5_b/set5_b/party.gif]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next