8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - YOUR CHRISTMAS FILM SHOWS

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: YOUR CHRISTMAS FILM SHOWS
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:17 am 
Film Expert

[set5_b/set5_b/hat.gif]
Joy to the world a peace to all Men.. Opps! That should now read individuals in our PC world.

One thing I always look forward to is a good old fashioned Christmas film show which I’m sure will fetch back memories of your childhood and happy ones for you I hope. The School film show at Chrimbo was always something I looked forward to as a kid, watching the teacher set the Eumig up along with screen and a small pile of films present as we eagerly awaited the screening of them one by one. For so many years this excitement led to me getting requests to give Christmas shows to youth groups which is a great part of the hobby for me as one organisation passed the news of someone willing to entertain the young people for free. It is nice to give something back having enjoyed film for so long and even better when a child asks if they can see that film again please. Without doubt Popeye’s ‘Dizzy Divers’ is the most requested cartoon at my shows and although not a Christmas theme there is something in the animation which seems to fascinate younger audiences. The pre Christmas shows commence this week and providing my back holds out lifting the Gs1200 it will be getting an outing for the first programme of films. I’ll let you know later how the shows go and if we have another favourite cartoon with the youngsters.

If you are planning a pre Christmas show why not tell us about it and what you are showing.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: YOUR CHRISTMAS FILM SHOWS
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:31 am 
Film Expert

Wot no one showing any Christmas films yet? [set5_b/set5_b/hat.gif]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Lee, I will be posting my Christmas line-up in the next couple of days. I might be having a private showing at the L&H Museum also. We showed Babes In Toyland last year.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:13 pm 

I'll sure enough show a few Christmas reels, Lee.. Now that I finished the last of the Thanksgiving turkey this very evening, it's time to think about December and those Christmas shows. At this point, I do have one show planned, and expect to add a few more. Since my kids (my best audience of all time) are all grown up and scattered about the USA and will not be home for Christmas, and traditional Christmas Eve screenings, I decided to fly to my daughter's home near Kansas City, Kansas to visit. Tonight, she told me she RENTED a 16mm projector and insisted I bring films along to present a show, just like when she was a little girl. And, more good news, my other daughter who lives in Austin, Texas will come up to join us. (My Vermont son will miss all this.) I picked out the first two movies I shall pack and both are tops on my list of favorites: THE HONEYMOONERS "Night Before Christmas" episode and the 1987 A CHILD'S CHRISTMAS IN WALES with Denholm Elliott.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:40 am 
Film Expert

Another successful pre Christmas screening and once again Disneys Pluto’s Christmas Tree was so popular with the youngsters. The old Elmo performed well again with the lamp installed exceeding 50 hours which must be a first for the Elmo and still in fairly good shape. One of the adult supervisors remembered that Disney cartoon from her own childhood which was nice to chat about for a few minutes after the show which took place in a large hall.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Lee, Pluto's Christmas Tree is always a fun film for the season.

Still not sure what to show Christmas eve, but I have shown some soundies and a few educational documentaries.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:34 am 
Film Expert

Well, our film group Christmas show went off very well indeed with a good full programme of real film on the big screen. Looking through what to show I came upon Disney's ON ICE which is one I have had for many years and amazed how well the colour is holding up. I must have shown this years ago so many times with the family and nice to still have it in good shape although with a few lines, but as they say every line tells a story! [set5_b/set5_b/hat.gif]

Quick photo taken side screen so not that brill.
A very nice evening with friends....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like I will be showing a reel compiled of Christmas shorts and a couple of those bizarre 10 minute educational films from days of old. For the feature attractions will be.....trumpets please......I am still not sure. [set5_b/set5_b/biggrinjester.gif]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:20 pm 
Film Expert

I will spend too much time cooking, driving, and people watching the next couple days to thread up the celluloid. I love to go out on Christmas Eve to watch the mad dasher-procrastinators pick through the leftovers for that certain something special. [set5_b/set5_b/driving.gif]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:43 pm 

Back home after my 2000 mile round trip to show Christmas Eve movies in Kansas. Well worth the journey to visit my daughters and thread up 16mm Castle shorts and THE SMALL ONE, keeping alive a tradition they enjoyed during their childhood. The focus knob on the rented projector (late model Bell & Howell branded Eiki) was shot, so I had to keep a finger on the lens barrel from time to time, but overall it was a fine success and the 20 or so in attendance enjoyed the show.