8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Standard 8 Collectioning

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Standard 8 Collectioning
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Recently I got serious about collecting standard 8 sound films. For me, collecting is finding that illusive film, especially form the 1930s, 40s, and 50s golden era and in a gauge that is way down the list when it comes to finding available titles. 9.5 would be even harder to find. A few years back I bought a gorgeous 1960 Fujica std 8 sound projector. Ken Layton restored the amp and a few mechanical problems. Still the amp is only 1.5 watts and the sound at best is just, 'okay'. Now I have acquired a Eumig Mark S810D from John Capazzo and the game is afoot! I'm awaiting the arrival of a 1.2 lens, thanks to Lee Mannering, Eumig knowledge base extraodinaire, to achieve a brighter lamp output. The only thing I can't find is a way or projector that will provide at least an 800' take up capacity. If I had a walk in projection booth I could do change overs with two projectors, but that is in the future.

What are your thoughts and advice? Any photos of you std 8 set ups?

My Fujica:

Attachments:
fujica 2.jpg
fujica 2.jpg [ 28.97 KiB | Viewed 5137 times ]
Fujica 1.jpg
Fujica 1.jpg [ 33.74 KiB | Viewed 5137 times ]

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Standard 8 Collectioning
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:40 am 
Film Expert

The now vintage 50's Kodak sound 8 was a popular choice as well but I tend to stick to the Eumig machines as they are modern, safe and fairly simple to repair. Never seen the Fuji model before so nice to see the pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:46 pm 
Film Expert

i am extremely interested in standard 8,not from the standpoint of the gauge itself as i think it is the bottom of the pile as far as i am concerned.but you can get some incredibly rare titles on the gauge.recently the 1922 "oliver twist" came up for sale [set5_b/set5_b/beatdeadhorse5.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/rofl.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/reddevil.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/iamwithstupid.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/svengo.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/troll.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/icon_bs.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/leaving.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/biggrinjester.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/conehead.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/ack2.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/piggy.gif] i once had a print of "the cat and the canary "(1927) BUT THE BRIGHTNESS OF THE PICTURE WAS POOR AS WAS THE RESOLUTION.i have heard the bolex mr8 was the best standard 8 machine but was there ever anything that ever favourably compared to 16mm as was the case with super8?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:33 am 
Film Expert

Welcome Chris. Standard 8 makes a bit of a change from 9-5! Hope you are keeping well.
[set5_b/set5_b/troll.gif]

The Bolex M8R was OK but only a silent machine. Most who project Std 8 around here seem to use a Eumig 824D or one of the lower models in the sound range. If you like vintage machines then the Kodak Sound Eight is also a good choice with some converting them to 1200ft reels and modern lighting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:09 am 
Film Expert

hello lee,you dont know how roger is going on as we are due to meet up at his next month?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:28 am 
Film Expert

Very slowly recovering at home Chris, and at the moment no plans for our next meeting. Will keep you posted as soon as I have any further news.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:55 pm 
Film Expert

thanks for that information lee,it doesnt look like we will be back at rogers until well into the new year.i appreciate your directing my attention to the eumig 824d and that it has a decent lens to produce a crisp image,and your information has set me thinking on standard 8 again.i am thinking,would it be possible to put in a two bladed shutter for increased brightness even though this would sacrifice the use of the 18fps facility? [set5_b/set5_b/banghead.gif]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:54 am 
Site Admin

Well, I have been collecting std 8mm for 36 hours and 42 minutes. [set5_b/set5_b/sifone.gif] Where's the beef?? I can't find any features except for the silent era. I'm not into the silent era, but do realize the art form it is. I have combed Ebay, Paul Fosters, CHC, Indie 8, but have come up empty handed. [set5_b/set5_b/nopity.gif]

Thanks to fellow members I have quite a stable of sound digests though. [set5_b/set5_b/hurray.gif]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

I recently bought a Motor Mouse and AutoCat cartoon on Ebay. It's a Walton release and is printed on AGFA 2S stock with excellent color, so there are std 8 sound prints on no-fade color stocks. Still looking for std 8 features in black and white or color. I'm shakin' them bushed boss! [set5_b/set5_b/coolgleamA.gif]