8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Hello and any advice please

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Hello and any advice please
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:35 pm 
Film Expert

Hello all,
I am Colin, very new to all cine stuff and looking on Ebay to by a projector to run both 8mm and Super 8 (hope thats right)
Could any of you experts point me in the right direction please, been looking at Eumig 810D and AGFA SONECTOR LS, cant afford a Elmo GS 1200 xenon ! But would like one [set5_b/set5_b/drool5.gif]
Could you list a few good Duel projectors for me ?
is a Elmo st180 a duel machine ?
I am in the UK and only have about £80/£100 GBP to spend.
I will be looking for home movies shot in the UK as old as possible as I want to see the areas, people, cars and fads from my parents "Good Old Days"

Thanks in advance
Cheers [set5_b/set5_b/cheers2.gif]

Colin.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Hello and any advice please
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

I am sure one of the members will be able to help steer you in the right direction.

One bit of advice, if you find another GS-1200 Type III in working order for $85.00 keep under your hat. [set5_b/set5_b/toetap05.gif] and contact the seller, then purchase it quickly. :mrgreen: They sell for around $1000 to $1500. :shock:

It is known as the "God Of Super 8 Projectors".

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:36 am 
Film Expert

Lol ! :lol:
Ok quick explanation,
During my search for a nice projector to purchase I can across this add;- http://charlotte.craigslist.org/clt/2590092517.html It reads,
8mm Projector ELMO GS-1200 with Stereo Sound - Great Condition - Quality Product!!!
Completely in working condition ... even the original Carrying Case is included (see photos below)
I don't know anything more about it, but I am told (by the original owner) that it worked perfectly when last used.
Ask any questions & I'll get you an answer ASAP ... This is from a Smoke-free home & has been carefully cared for.
Drop me an E-Mail through CraigsList, or Call David on my Cell: 704.770.1733 ... to come see this Collectible! [set5_b/set5_b/drool5.gif]

So I emailed the seller David asking if it was still for sale, and he replied saying it was and after a few more exchanged emails I get a method of paying and shipping costs, now I am thinking have I got the bargain of the century or am I just about to be ripped off ?
I knew of the 8mm forum and quickly signed up; posting my first post http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/u ... 8;t=001958 asking if anyone is near to this seller, hoping for some overseas help, very quickly I had some replies one offering help and another from Winbert Hutahaean who said he had also seen the add but it was now sold.
Oh well I thought another deal missed, but I decided as I had already organised this deal I would email David back to see if it was me who he had sold it too and this was his reply.... I sold it this morning ... A gentleman called me, offered to pay the full price + $5 (with PayPal) & to have Fed Ex pick it up for him ... Is this perhaps the person you are mentioning below? His name is Winbert Hutahaean ... :o

I asked Dan about it and he called David the seller who confirmed the buyer’s name,
So Its funny that Winbert should then post this to me “And BTW about the above item, you might be "missed a good one there !" or as you mentioned earlier that you are now saved from the scam. Who knows?”
So I don’t know what’s happening here, have I been naive or stupid? Probably both, it’s a pity as I am not too well off and an Elmo GS1200 at that price would have solved my problems! [set5_b/set5_b/banghead.gif]
I am not pointing my finger at anyone and good luck to them, perhaps I have it all wrong but I would prefer a bit of honesty. [set5_b/set5_b/rant.gif]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:33 am 

Welcome to the forum, Colin! Sorry to learn of your unfortunate happening with that particular projector, and especially the follow up comment you received. Keep us informed of your search for your first machine!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:12 pm 
Film Expert

Hello Colin, welcome to the forum!

I do know that the Elmo ST180 is not a dual machine but super 8 only. The Eumig is a dual 8 machine...standard 8 and super 8 silent/sound. I don't have one but I have heard good things about them. I would like to find one myself just for standard 8 use. I have an ELMO ST1200 for super 8.

Maybe someone with more knowledge about the Eumig could chime in....

Bill :D

P.S. look in projector reviews...there are two dual Eumigs discussed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

Bill's right! Steve Klare did some excellent reviews on the Eumigs. I own a Eumig S810D and it performs quietly with very good sound too. It only takes a couple of minutes to switch from super 8 to standard 8. I have thrown an image on an 8 foot wide screen. The halogen lamp is 100watts. The take up reel capacity is 600'. Only one thing about the Eumig I don't like and that is you can't manually remove the film once it is underway.

80 to 100 pounds will get you a Eumig S810D.

Now if you plan to show feature films and don't want to change 400' reels every 18 to 20 minutes, then you might want find an Elmo ST-1200. These are very popular. They have a take up reel capacity if 1200'(60 minutes). The lamp is 150watts. But, they only run super 8. I would suggest finding a Eumig standard 8 silent for the home movies and an Elmo ST-1200D or HD for sound super 8. You could probably find a Eumig for $100 or less and an Elmo ST-1200D for around $150.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:11 pm 
Film Expert

I am not sure there are any Elmo dual gauge machines.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:08 pm 
Film Expert

Thank you all for your comments and advice, as I have limited funds I am seriously considering buying just one projector (to start with anyway) and I am drawn to the Eumig 810D or 810D LUX, it seems to fit the bill and there’s a few on eBay at the moment, I will let you know how I get on
Thanks again
Colin.
[set5_b/set5_b/grouphug.gif]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:07 pm 
Film Expert

Ok Report of how I got on....in a word Badly ! [set5_b/set5_b/cuss.gif]

Yet again I was out bid on UK Ebay I bid £110 for a Eumig 810D LUX and it went for £136 !
Thats twice i have lost out [set5_b/set5_b/banghead.gif] It wont happen again, the next one is mine !!
This is war [set5_b/set5_b/smash.gif]

Report Ends.... [set5_b/set5_b/seeya.gif]

Too many smilies ?? [set5_b/set5_b/rofl.gif]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:02 pm 
Film Expert

Colin,
Have you tried using sniping software?