8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Collector's club 400 foot "Haunted spooks"

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Collector's club 400 foot "Haunted spooks"
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:47 pm 
Film Expert

I recently bought a 400 foot copy of Haunted Spooks with Harold Lloyd on super 8, which is a Collector's Club edition. I read somewhere that Collector's Club just copied the titles from Blackhawk. Is this true in regard to this title? I had this title from Blackhawk years ago and remember it not being very sharp and rather dark at the edges. The Collector's Club 400 foot version is not dark at the edges and incrediblly sharp although some of the inter title cards don't seem as bright as they should be but still clearly readable. Does anyone know anything about this title? The film itself came in an original Collector's Club box with the title stamped on the edge of the box. I had always heard and believed that titles from this company were of not very good quality but I must say, I have never seen a finer print of this title before.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Collector's club 400 foot "Haunted spooks"
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:54 pm 
Film Expert

Does it have Blackhawk titles or doe it have the original Hal Roach titles?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:58 pm 
Film Expert

No, it does not have the original Hal Roach titles but there is also no Blackhawk logos anywhere to be seen either.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:07 pm 
Film Expert

Apparently, CC did release some of Blackhawk's PD titles but with their own titles in place of the Blackhawk ones.

I, like yourself, always thought that the CC prints had a reputation for poor quality but according to a recent discussion elsewhere, some of their prints could be quite good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:13 pm 
Film Expert

And the nicest thing of all with this print is there are no blackhawk history titles at the front and never were either, which saved me the trouble of cutting them out. That is the only thing I have always hated about Blackhawk prints was their commentary cards at the front of each and every print, which does not make for a good show in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:01 pm 
Film Expert

Commentary cards?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:08 am 
Film Expert

I don't know it they are called commentary cards or what they are called. But almost every Blackhawk film will contain a minute and a half of some brief description at the front of each film. Typical things described in these comentaries would be date of release or anything that Blackhawk felt like sharing regarding that particular film. They were just basically intertitles at the front of their films that could last as long as two minutes in some cases, depending on what Blackhawk had to say about the title in question. As an example with Haunted Spooks, Blackhawk mentioned how Lloyd had part of his hand blown off during the making of that film, ect, ect.

I suppose for some people those commentaries might be interesting but for myself I have always just cut them from the front of the print and tossed them out since they are not part of the original film anyway. For me it just slows things down when showing films because there is too much to read for an audience because they are looking for fun, not a history lesson. After those Blackhawk commentaries finished then the actual film would start.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:57 am 
Film Expert

I have none of those on any of my Blackhawks so I must assume they are only on some prints. I have Charley Chase shorts, WC Fields shorts and a couple of features, all Blackhawk prints.
Interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:53 pm 
Film Expert

I have had many, many Blackhawk silent prints in both regular and super 8 over the years and I don't recall any that did not contain an opening commentary. Perhaps the previous owner of your Blackhawk titles had the forsight to already cut them out of the film. All the Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy, Harold Lloyd (except for the Time Life series issued by Blackhawk), Keaton, Larry Semon and Our Gang have this that I have seen. But those have been the only prints by Blackhawk that I ever looked for. I've never had a Charley Chase film yet but have thought about him since I love the silent comedies. Which title do you reccomend by Chase? I have been considering a short ot two by Harry Langdon as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:18 pm 
Film Expert

Nothing has been removed from the prints and they all came from different sources so I don't think they had the commentary cards in the first place. That's interesting. I'll have to look into it a bit more.
As for Chase I have only sound prints. ON THE WRONG TREK and THE NICKEL NURSER are two that spring to mind as being good 2-reelers.