8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - A little about me.....

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: A little about me.....
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:35 pm 
Film Expert

About me, Scott Nafzger.

When I was 11 my grandmother bought me my first 16mm projector. It was a Bell & Howell, black, I think 1592 autoload, at a garage sale for $20.00. From then on, I had to have my mom take me to the library to rent prints. When I got out on my own at age 18 I was introduced to the internet and found ebay where people were buying and selling things. The thing I was most happy to find was 16mm. A few years after I got the projector, my uncle, who was a school teacher somehow got ahold of my projector and took it from me. After I discovered ebay, I bought a projector and a few educational films and odd reels to start out with. It was pretty pricey for me being as I was in my first apartment, on my own and only working 2 part time jobs. A few years after that I was making more and one of my part time jobs became full time and was making more money. I moved into a condo and shortly after purchased my first full length feature, Footloose, with Kevin Bacon. After that, I was hooked. I got my hands on many prints that I should have held onto but sold in desperation to get another. Like, Friday the 13th......UNCUT! Yeah, I grew up in the 80's so I like the late 70's and 80's films. To this day I have many great features and cartoon shorts, mostly in color, although, the past couple months I have purchased my first L&H film called Blockheads and love it. Last week I bought another but it is an 800ft. blackhawk cutdown, but I am sure I will enjoy it. Some of my prized features are, Disney animated Robin Hood, Hey There, It's Yogi Bear, Xanadu, Eyes of a Stranger (creepy tv movie), Adventures of Mother Goose, Spies like Us, Airplane II, Arthur, 9-5, Soapdish, Westworld, The Way We Were, Up the Sandbox, A Star is Born, The Golden Seal, The Big Sleep, The Happening, The Heartbreak Kid and a few other features. I also have collected many mighty mouse cartoons and Tom & Jerry, along with 2 1600ft. reels of Hanna Barbara toons. I am building up a trailer reel now, which I will splice before feature films that I show. I have trailers like Finding Nemo, Three Men and a Little Lady, Monsters Inc. , Oliver and Company, Not Another Teen Movie, Mission Impossible II, and some other ones. I have a Telex Sixteen Projector, which I love. 3 Eiki's but hate to use them cause of the focus problem, a B&H manual thread, and a couple autoloads. I have an Eiki long play unit that will allow me to run 6000ft. reels but I only use it twice a year at my pool parties at my condo complex. The first, memorial day and the second during fourth of July weekend. I am able to load 2 features with shorts and trailers on a 6000ft. reel. I use to use an old mansfield cement splicer to splice film together but recently bought a kodak splicer that works much better. I use scotch transparent tape as it is the same width of 16mm and it is transparent. I enjoy the hobby of film but it is getting much more rare and collectors are holding onto prints much more longer than they used to.
Just a little piece about me. I am always looking for trades and animated features.

Last edited by Scott Nafzger on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: A little about me.....
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:41 pm 
Film Expert

My main collecting is 16mm too, though I dabble in Super 8.
Which projector do you favour, Scott?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:22 pm 
Film Expert

I have a b&h manual thread 1540 that I show prints on. It's easy on film and fairly quiet. As for super 8, all I have is 2 Chinon's 5100 and 6100.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:26 pm 
Film Expert

I use Eikis. I have a RM-1 and an RT-1, both of which I love. I manually thread both, even though the RT has autothreading.

What's the focus issue you mentioned?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:32 pm 
Film Expert

The focus problem I have found on eiki's is that the gummy stuff that helps keep the lens in place along with the threads gets hard and crumbles over time. I tried using fish tank airline tubing but no luck. I have 2 Eiki NT-0's.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:45 pm 
Film Expert

I had this problem on an Eiki a while back. I bought some windscreen-washer hose from an auto supply shop and it was an easy fix. It took probably 10mins tops.
You should be able to sort that out easily.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:49 pm 
Film Expert

I will look into that, but I have not messed with those projectors for a few years now. Now I want to dig them out of the basement and tinker with them....lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:52 pm 
Film Expert

I have a Bell & Howell 3580 which is a rebadged Eiki slot load and it had the focus problem when I got it and I did the same thing Mike did and it took care of the focus issue. It sounds like you have a nice collection of films there Scott. Speaking of animated features I would love to find "A Man Called Flintstone". I have about 15 Flintstones TV episodes on 16mm.

Bill :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:43 am 
Film Expert

I almost got my hands on A Man Called Flintstone a couple of years ago from a guy at a film convention. He was selling for $150.00 but he did not have it with him at the time and when he got home he said he could not find it. Glad I didn't pay him on the spot for it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:40 am 
Film Expert

Scott Nafzger wrote:
About me, Scott Nafzger.

When I was 11 my grandmother bought me my first 16mm projector. It was a Bell & Howell, black, I think 1592 autoload, at a garage sale for $20.00. From then on, I had to have my mom take me to the library to rent prints. When I got out on my own at age 18 I was introduced to the internet and found ebay where people were buying and selling things. The thing I was most happy to find was 16mm. A few years after I got the projector, my uncle, who was a school teacher somehow got ahold of my projector and took it from me. After I discovered ebay, I bought a projector and a few educational films and odd reels to start out with. It was pretty pricey for me being as I was in my first apartment, on my own and only working 2 part time jobs. A few years after that I was making more and one of my part time jobs became full time and was making more money. I moved into a condo and shortly after purchased my first full length feature, Footloose, with Kevin Bacon. After that, I was hooked. I got my hands on many prints that I should have held onto but sold in desperation to get another. Like, Friday the 13th......UNCUT! Yeah, I grew up in the 80's so I like the late 70's and 80's films. To this day I have many great features and cartoon shorts, mostly in color, although, the past couple months I have purchased my first L&H film called Blockheads and love it. Last week I bought another but it is an 800ft. blackhawk cutdown, but I am sure I will enjoy it. Some of my prized features are, Disney animated Robin Hood, Hey There, It's Yogi Bear, Xanadu, Eyes of a Stranger (creepy tv movie), Adventures of Mother Goose, Spies like Us, Airplane II, Arthur, 9-5, Soapdish, Westworld, The Way We Were, Up the Sandbox, A Star is Born, The Golden Seal, The Big Sleep, The Happening, The Heartbreak Kid and a few other features. I also have collected many mighty mouse cartoons and Tom & Jerry, along with 2 1600ft. reels of Hanna Barbara toons. I am building up a trailer reel now, which I will splice before feature films that I show. I have trailers like Finding Nemo, Three Men and a Little Lady, Monsters Inc. , Oliver and Company, Not Another Teen Movie, Mission Impossible II, and some other ones. I have a Telex Sixteen Projector, which I love. 3 Eiki's but hate to use them cause of the focus problem, a B&H manual thread, and a couple autoloads. I have an Eiki long play unit that will allow me to run 6000ft. reels but I only use it twice a year at my pool parties at my condo complex. The first, memorial day and the second during fourth of July weekend. I am able to load 2 features with shorts and trailers on a 6000ft. reel. I use to use an old mansfield cement splicer to splice film together but recently bought a kodak splicer that works much better. I use scotch transparent tape as it is the same width of 16mm and it is transparent. I enjoy the hobby of film but it is getting much more rare and collectors are holding onto prints much more longer than they used to.
Just a little piece about me. I am always looking for trades and animated features.

When are you going to make good on the trade for the Eiki Long Play?