8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - color correction lens

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: color correction lens
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:24 pm 
Film Expert

Just found a seller on eBay selling 2 color correcting gel splotches for only $2.95 free shipping. He states that he is a film collector himself and has a good product to make viewing color film more enjoyable and very affordable which was his goal. Light reduction is stated to be very minimal if at all and flesh tones are improved. I have ordered a pair to see how they work with a 100w lamp. He has 2 illustrations showing before and after. If these truly work the low cost will be greatly appreciated by all projectionist. Seller is - Even - More - Clutter. Check it out for yourself.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: color correction lens
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:35 pm 
Film Expert

When the colour is gone, it's gone.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:15 pm 
Film Expert

He is a member of this forum and others and is not only a reputable seller but a friend. Mike, I appreciate your opinion but think the reality of it rather depends on the degree of fade and aesthetic preferences of the projectionist. In my opinion if the color's not horribly faded, filtering helps. Whether cyan, blue, or green looks better depends on the type of color fade, but if it's not too severe, I'd rather project a print this way than run it straight brown/magenta.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:10 pm 
Film Pro

" Light reduction is stated to be very minimal if at all and flesh tones are improved"

This statement is by nature nebulous because of the very nature of "colour fade".
Colour fade occurs when the strength of a colour component (or components) is reduced for any reason, usually degradation of the dyes with time. As the colour dye disappears, the effect on "light" is for the amount of light passing through that dye to INCREASE while the strength of the colour DECREASES.
"Colour correction filters2 work by reducing the strength of those components of the original colours OTHER THAN the components that have faded , tending to restore the original balance.
BUT, in order to do this really successfully, the characteristics of the filter must accurately match the degree of colour loss in the deficient components; obviously an impossibility with just one simple filter..
Anyone who uses a digital Photo Editing program will know that trying to correct colour casts (imbalances) can be a soul destroying job at the best of times... and there one has control over the strengths of all three of the constituent colours INDEPENDENTLY,; not just one simple fixed filter but an infinite range of filter combinations. And when the optimum comination HAS been found (and it will probably be different for each photo) Brightness and Contrast (the definitive intensity characteristics of the photograph will also need adjustment to restore the basic light (Luminance) losses.

The lesson? Never expect a "Colour Correction Filter" to cure your problems with faded films.. you takes your choice and puts up with the result on your particular problem film... or films.
What please one person will probably not satisfy another.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:27 pm 
Film Expert

I don't like trying to view red colored films. If a filter will do away with this and produce anything close to a black and white picture I will be satisfied. I am not hard to please in this matter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:41 pm 
Film Expert

Those are good points, Martin, and I'd have to agree that the last time I tried the color correction, there was an average closer to black-and-white than otherwise. Roger, you'd like that, however the lighter the picture or portion thereof, the more you'll see the pure color of the filter. Stating the obvious there, but it's definitely a your-mileage-will-vary scenario.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:05 pm 
Film Expert

Been doing this for awhile so I have to add my two cents. Once color is gone it is gone. Filters on Ebay were called "redout" filters and were a light cyan color placed in front of the lens. Depending on the amount of fade in the print they can filter out the light areas of color but dull the image and distort the other colors. The best way to explain this is for anyone who watches an anaglyphic 3-D DVD but wants to complain that the colored glasses distort the color. Anaglyphic blue blocks the red in films because it is on the opposite side of the color wheel of what we can see with the human eye. With film it darkens the red image but doesn't replace what is lost. To some it may make the projected image more favorable but I watched a projected 16mm film of Grease that was slightly faded and didn't return the skin tones instead it made John Travolta look almost neon while Olivia looked green. If you really want them then order them, try them and be dissapointed. Once color is gone for projection then it is gone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:20 pm 
Film Expert

Hi Eric,

I ordered the pair. If they don't work I am only out $2.99 FREE SHIPPING.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:36 am 
Film Pro

The problem with filters is that they SUBTRACT colour from the projected picture in an effort to match that already subtracted by fading, and in so doing they ADD a cast to everything that is left.
With colour correction in Digital Editing colours are ADDED in an effort to effect the correct balance, but the added colour also introduces a cast to the other colours in the image. It's a fine balance that is needed.
Rather than filters in front of the projection lens, perhaps what we need is a projector with three independent coloured lamps so we can adjust the light BEFORE it reaches the film?

Yes, its been done before at the professional level... but I think it might be a bit OTT for amateur use! Keep on watching your "colour" films in black and white, or black and cyan, or. black and.... whatever?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:55 pm 
Film Expert

Received the pair of filters today and tried them. I'm a simple guy and a beginner who found the filters to help and create a more desirable look.