8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Anscovision 388 Projector

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Re: Anscovision 388 Projector
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:19 pm 
Film Expert

UPDATE:

Anybody?

1. pulled the back off ansco 388. no problems found there. I then tried to feed 8mm reel into the unit the proper way. it will NOT pick up the film. I opened the front cover to watch what was going on in there. It looks like the pin is not protruding enough into the gate area to pick up the film. everything else sounds and appears normal. can that space be adjusted to bring pin closer to the gate? what can I do?

2. also, I tried the GAF today also. Yesterday super 8 worked perfectly, but reg 8mm had the jitters. today I was going to run the 8mm again and not let it go on take up reel, just eliminate the take up reel assembly as the cause for jitters.

I fed the 8mm film in after I switched the slider to 8mm. it appeared to run through and was feeding properly. However, the Lamp would NOT light!!! I checked the voltage into the lamp and it was correct at 30VAC. Lamp is 80W, 30V. It's incredible.

also noticed the new rubber tire I installed on the GAF is already wearing, showing a grove already noticeable. some of the material is dropping into case.

I ordered a lamp pulled from a machine with a bad motor on Ebay, they said lamp works.

waiting for lamp.

Thanks
frank

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:34 pm 
Film Expert

UPDATE:

Good news and bad news.

1. I finally got the anscovision 388 working! everyone who said it should feed film with one claw, you were correct!

I left off with I felt the claw pin wasn't protruding far enough into the gate. got some insight for adjustment. I observed the gate area while moving the selector switch without power.

the problem wasn't that the pin wasn't protruding far enough, but the movable part of the gate when you switch the motor on, wasn't moving close enough to the stationary part of the gate to make the gap for the film path a bit more narrower.

I looked at the GAF 2388 as a reference.

that piece is spring loaded. I moved it by hand and it moved closer. something was hanging up when motor was selected not allowing full movement. I fiddled with it and now it seems to close properly. I cycled it a bunch of times with no power and it closed every time.

I was able to run two reels of regular 8mm through it without any problems. YEA!

2. now the bad news with the GAF 2388Z.

I ran 8mm film through it without having the film go on the take up reel. worked perfectly and got a good stable image and it framed correctly.

as soon as I tried letting it go on the take up reel, then it began to spit and sputter and the image was very unstable and not viewable.

there seemed to be a lot of chatter coming from the film gate area. thinking there was too much pressure against the rubber tire, I decided to try and adjust the tire gap space when the selector was on rewind for 1/16 of an inch.

there's a little tab at the end of the black bar behind the take up reel. the tab broke. now there is no movement of the take up reel.

I've included a a couple of pics. the black bar looks replaceable if I can find one. the black bar is connected to a huge mechanism that moves with each click of the selector switch. that bar moves also, but with the tab broke, there's nothing there to move the wheel.

any ideas for that problem? anyone have that bar? I believe GAF and Anscovision may be the same.

frank

Attachments:
IMG_0764.JPG
IMG_0764.JPG [ 35.29 KiB | Viewed 1792 times ]
IMG_0763.JPG
IMG_0763.JPG [ 34.96 KiB | Viewed 1792 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:33 pm 
Film Expert

UPDATE:

Anscovision 388 is working, yea!

however, I discovered a piece broken on the GAF 2388Z.
It's the tab on the end of the black bar that controls the rubber tire pressure against the take up spindle. anyone have the black bar part, I'd appreciate what ever info you can provide. enclosed are a couple of pics.

thanks,

frank

Attachments:
IMG_0771.JPG
IMG_0771.JPG [ 23.93 KiB | Viewed 1777 times ]
IMG_0770.JPG
IMG_0770.JPG [ 34.96 KiB | Viewed 1777 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:42 pm 
Film Expert

UPDATE:

I had the broken tab on the linkage repaired. reinstalled and I ran a reel of 8mm through. the gap was right on 1/16' in rewind. in off and project there was enough pressure to drive spindle without excessive force as to load down the drive spindle. film ran smoothly no jitter.

thanks to everyone who posted. I learned a lot about these two projectors.

best regards,
frank