8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Not so much a review as an observation

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Not so much a review as an observation
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:56 am 
Film Expert

I recently came across an ad for an as new Elmo GS1200 available here in Australia for $1600 (no offense intended to the seller - you have a sought item in that one) - probably around 1000 GBP and close to 1600 USD. The holy grail of projectors (?) I thought about it for a second but then backed up - it's not a xenon, it has recording functions I would never use, and I have read of repair problems due to it's complexity. I also considered what I already have - to be honest I have some "pack horses" that are simple, reliable and great performing machines that cost less than a quarter of the GS- namely my trusty Elmo ST 800's and the same to be said of my Sankyo 800's. Though I love the look and "idea" of the GS - I suppose I'll leave it to others - with a touch of envy.

Cheers - GT (btw I tend to try and post mildly contentious messages to get things flowing!) So - as far as a review goes this is a thumbs up for the Elmo ST800's and the Sankyo 800's.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Not so much a review as an observation
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:03 pm 
Film Expert

I agree Guy. I wouldn't pay the money those machines draw. IMO, the ST1200 is more than adequate for todays average collector and the Sankyo Stereo 800 is a beauty. I wish I hadn't sold mine when I did.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:28 pm 
Film Expert

I can only agree with Mike on this one. I have two Elmo ST1200's and they are my babies and go-to projectors for super 8. Also had a Sankyo that was from the 70's but I sold years ago and regret because it was like the Elmo twins so easy to use. For me, I am a home collector that got started when my grandfather first asked me to fix the familei's Rever 8mm silent projector so we could watch home movies.
The GS Elmo 1200 is a great projector but xenon isn't really needed unless you are doing large productions. Also there are other projectors out there that can produce twin-track sound. If in a home setting for collectors my best bet is on an Elmo ST1200. They have done me well and don't chop up films with the autoload. Plus they have a great lens and bright lamp. Also the GS's are just dang expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:20 pm 
Film Expert

Last edited by Roy Neil on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Roy is right! Please do not look at a xenon projected film. If you do, you will never be the same. I know, because I was exposed to exnon recently and have been through a special program in order to be reintroduced back into halogen society. I still wake up nights seeing vivid images on the ceiling. :shock: These episodes are becoming fewer and fewer as time passes. [set5_b/set5_b/willy_nilly.gif]

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:36 pm 
Film Expert

I agree that xenon projectors are wonderfully bright but really, how many of them are available for home use or can be converted? I'm sure the GS Elmo's were great xenon projectors but as far as theater use I was using 500W Xenon for about a 250' throw in 35mm with a terrific image. What's left locally is still 35mm being projected about the same distance with 1500W Xenon lamphouses. Overkill. I don't honestly know if it's the lack of 35mm prints but 3D even with the correct Polarization lenses failed because the lamps were too bright. Also, I would like to see one single picture of a 16mm projector that used a Xenon lamp barring the multiplex projectors. If I could see that than someone has to have an airline cartridge optical sound projector.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:37 pm 
Film Expert

Yipe Erik, you mentioned a 250 ft throw with a 500 watt xenon.....I thought the 70 foot throw at the old Harbour Light cinema at the sea port of Lyttelton New Zealand was extremely long for the width of the auditorium, and the 24 ft screen looked quite small at that distance from the projection booth. I've never seen a screen 250 ft from the booth, but of course I've not ventured far out of this country. Now that the old cinema has been demolished after being earthquake damaged, the empty land where it stood for so many years, looks very small compared to my memory of what used to seem to be a very large imposing building.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:47 pm 
Film Expert

Dan Lail wrote:
Roy is right! Please do not look at a xenon projected film. If you do, you will never be the same. I know, because I was exposed to exnon recently and have been through a special program in order to be reintroduced back into halogen society. I still wake up nights seeing vivid images on the ceiling. :shock: These episodes are becoming fewer and fewer as time passes. [set5_b/set5_b/willy_nilly.gif]

Ahhh now that explains my disappointment with halogen after a recent experience with a xenon GS1200....the owner wants NZ$2000 for it but I don't think wifey would understand. [set5_b/set5_b/blush5.gif] Hope you get over your sleepless nights Dan. Maybe if you slept on your side you wouldn't see the images on the ceiling. [set5_b/set5_b/cheers2.gif]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:56 pm 
Film Expert

Mike O'Regan wrote:
I agree Guy. I wouldn't pay the money those machines draw. IMO, the ST1200 is more than adequate for todays average collector and the Sankyo Stereo 800 is a beauty. I wish I hadn't sold mine when I did.

Hi Mike. I've got a very nice Sankyo Sound 702. It's in great condition and gives a very steady and sharp picture as well as good sound.
A friend of mine wants me to sell it to him, but he also wants NZ$2000 for an Elmo GS1200 xenon he thinks I might buy from him, so I'll probably still have the Sankyo for another decade or more. I agree with you that most Sankyo projectors are great machines. [set5_b/set5_b/cheers2.gif]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:06 pm 
Film Expert

Yes Frank,
The oldest theater in town I ran for a year and a half used a 500W Xenon with a 250' throwing distance. The screen was at least 9 feet tall and 14' wide to accomidate scope and flat films without changing the 'board' "Was what we called the screen. The lenses were solid ground glass with no UV protection and had been there since the late 30's. The flat lenses were 2X Magnefication and the scope was some wierd lense provided by Paramount. Still, we had a small theater with exceptional lenses, Simplex projectors from 1936 with the most advanced sound equiptment at the time. Infared optical heads and full 6-channel DD sound with about 7000W of sound equiptment. The lower wattage of the lamps and the short throwing distance really brought out the color of the films. The blacks were black and the bright images were very balanced.
Dealing with Xenon is a very different beast as it has a slightly blue light. Most 8-super8 and 16mm color presentations were made mainly for incandescent or halogen projection. Plus, there aren't many Xenon small format projectors on the open market.
I had a Sankyo loveed it and kick myself in the backside for ever selling it. Also had a Minolta that I literally brought back from the mud then used to death. Also had a chinese Chinon that I never should have sold. Your choice of projector is your own. Nowadays, I stick to Elmo's and Eumig's for super 8 and regular 8. Elmo for super, Eumig for regular or dual.