8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Eumig with hesitating start - NO LONGER A PROBLEM

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Eumig with hesitating start - NO LONGER A PROBLEM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:13 pm 
Film Expert

Can anyone give me an idea why my Eumig is sluggesh getting started after it has sat for several hours. When forward or reverse is in gauged it takes maybe 8 to ten seconds before the reel starts moving. After the initial start it will run great until it sets over night or most of the day.

Last edited by Roger Cathey on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Eumig with hesitating start
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:57 pm 
Film Expert

Hey Roger, I have two Eumig 807's here that are my babies. I was informed recently from a very good restorer that the Eumigs don't use belt instead use rubber rollers for the arms and possibly the motor. Once they start to age the get hard and shrink. Having a problem with one of mine right now that causes the take-up arm to slip. Was given a few pointers though. If you are into breaking down a projector, first use denatured alcohol to clean the roller. Then, I was told to use a rubber restorer which I've never heard of. What I am using on mine is a belt dressing used on turntable belts to restore the grabbing of the rubber. Another trick with rubber is to use a pencil eraser to scrub the roller. That will remove the dried rubber but you need to be able to adjust the contact point. That may be your problem. If you are confident in doing things by hand then take off the back cover. If the rollers are shiney or smooth looking then the rubber is dry and probably shrunken a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:30 am 
Film Expert

I have always had great results using some light grade sandpaper, and simply rubbing across the rubber pads so that you cannot see the groove anymore...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:53 am 
Film Expert

Hi Eric,

My Eumig is the S912 and does not have any arms as both reels mount back to back.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:05 am 
Film Expert

Hey Roger,
My knowlege extends only as far as the 807 models. You can take it apart and see if it uses the same tech that the earlier ones used but other than that not sure I can help much. The 807 is the newest model I use here. Wish I could be more help.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:45 am 
Film Pro

The 900 series use the same BASIC technique, but with smaller discs and a different layout. I've never had this problem with this Series so have never had one apart for this purpose.
However, if you take off the front panel you will be able to see the discs and the wheel on the motor shaft that drives them. One disc is for FORWARD, the other for REVERSE.
Now, if the problem is the same in BOTH forward and reverse, check if the MOTOR is slow coming up to speed. If so, the bearings could probably do with lubricating or cleaning, or both. If the motor comes up to speed quickly but the projector is slow in "catching up", try cleaning the drive wheel on the motor shaft.
If the problem is ONLY in one direction or the other, check, clean, and/or slightly roughen the relevant disc.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:51 pm 
Film Expert

Thanks Martin,

I know which parts you are referring to. I will now take action!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:53 pm 
Film Expert

After I posted last night I took apart the 807 I was having problems with, cleaned the discs with alcohol then used a pencil eraser on the contact points. It made a total difference. My main problem was with the rear arm take-up being weak but is now very strong and winds the film tightly. Also cleaned the main drive discs even though they weren't a problem but it seems to be working overall much better now. Hope you have the same results.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:31 am 
Film Expert

Thanks Guys,

It's good to have knowledgeable people to help guide you when you need instruction. After cleaning the rubber disk and the wheel that drive the forward and reverse, the projector is now functioning as it should even after sitting all night.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:11 pm 
Film Expert

Extremely happy to hear that you got it working right. These are my favorite machines and run like mad. Good luck with it.