8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - New to film collecting

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: New to film collecting
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:58 pm 
Film Expert

I have been reading the forum for a couple of months now and decided I
needed to join this group. I have inherited a projector and a few films
from my Uncle. This sparked an interest in expanding my measly collection
so I am here seeking advise. What would be the best way to obtain a good
projector and some more current films? The ones my Uncle had were mostly
from the 1950's - cartoons, some black and white short films(10 minutes or so),
and a few home movies. I enjoy the old movies such as An Affair To Remember,
anything Elvis, action movies, and some horror movies. I am not into the computer
generated films that are coming out now - just prefer those older films.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions! I am looking forward to creating my
own little theater world so that I can watch movies with my family and friends.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New to film collecting
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:46 am 
Film Expert

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you and if you are really interested maybe some of us old-timers can show you the way. If you are interested in collecting film there is much you need to know. First thing, what gauge of film are you interested in? Super 8 sound is the most available. Regular 8 silent is what is most available in flea markets and home collections.
My sugestion is that you go with super 8 sound. Many prints are available in feature productions and cut-down digests prints.
You can start with Ebay although you will not be dealing with collectors. Most Ebay sellers are auction hunters or flea market sellers that have no idea what they are selling and are happy to sell you crap.
If you want to buy and sell or collect then you are in the right place. Most here know what they are doing and throw the crap to the marketplace and sell the real deal here. The first thing you need is a reliable projector for the format you choose. Super 8 sound is a good choice for the beginner. There are tons of film for sale and tons of projectors at really good prices for the format. You need to contact John Capazzo He always has machines at great prices in good working order. He has an Elmo machine which is top of the market right now for next to nothing. Look him up on this forum.
Also, if you are serious about getting into it then look at websights. There are plenty out there selling films. Just search on 8mm or super 8 for sale.

Post subject: Re: New to film collecting
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:59 pm 

Welcome to the Forum, Janice. As Erik posted in his welcome, there are so many ways to approach this hobby. First, what do you have, as far as projector and films? I suspect it is a silent machine and it sounds like you want to collect sound film. Let us know what you presently own, make, model, etc.