8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Bell & Howell Dual 8 Find for TEN BUCKS!

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Re: Bell & Howell Dual 8 Find for TEN BUCKS!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:48 pm 
Film Expert

Went for a drive to my favorite surplus store and came across a B&H 359CZ 8mm autoload with a speed control. The condition was if it just came out of the box. It was the speed control that interested me for a project I’m working on. Thinking that the speed controller was electrical I was surprised to see that it’s mechanical. By turning the adjuster knob that push or pulls a leaver witch in turns makes a split pulley expand or contract so the drive belt speeds up or slows down. I found this out while looking for a clicking sound inside thinking it was a broken gear that turned out to be something else. Now the sad part for some. The light blub came on (you know the one in my head) I have a dual 8mm, and with only making one hole for the control knob I could swap the motor drive and speed control from this to the dual 8 and Bobs your uncle I have a somewhat telecine machine. Speed control, frame control and dual 8mm. A bit of a cross between a 458A film sound and a 482 super 8 telecine. And when my lamp kits arrives I can change out the $$$hot blub and install a socket and lamp. Yes there’s the question about frame speed and no sound but I think it would do for my home movies. So do I- Keep this one original to sell and use my two other projectors a dual8 and regular8 with a lamp conversion? Below are the insides the autoload is on the left.

Attachments:
_MG_4527.jpg
_MG_4527.jpg [ 28.92 KiB | Viewed 613 times ]
_MG_4529.jpg
_MG_4529.jpg [ 32.56 KiB | Viewed 613 times ]
_MG_4530.jpg
_MG_4530.jpg [ 37.69 KiB | Viewed 613 times ]
_MG_4531.jpg
_MG_4531.jpg [ 32.32 KiB | Viewed 613 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Bell & Howell Dual 8 Find for TEN BUCKS!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:07 pm 
Film Expert

Dan Lail wrote:
Ed, you can do a lamp mod on this projector. If it uses a DJL Lamp 120v 150w, you can install a halogen lamp socket and use 120v 300w halogen lamp instead. Refer to my post about the Kodak Sound 8 mod. You would use that socket and lamp. Total replacement cost about $25.00.

Here is the post:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=802&hilit=kodak+sound+8+mod&start=10

On your B&H you would have to drill 3 holes in the projector to attach the QLV-1 socket. The two wires could be attached to the 2 projector lamp wires with wire nut connectors. I paid $12 for the new socket and $5 for the new ELH lamp. These lamps have a 50 hour life.

Thanks again, got the socket and two lamps this morring. Installed and running after a couple hours. Don't know why I got two lamps but glad I did cause I poped the first one after not waitting for it to cool down before moving it around on the bench. Hey won't cost $65pus for a bulb now.

Profile Send private message