8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Film cleaner

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Film cleaner
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:13 am 
Film Expert

I'm looking into getting a film cleaner more easily apply an even coat of film guard on my films. Does anyone know if these types of applicator work well(It's missing the bottle that goes on top, but I figured I could just fashion one)? Are there any other cleaners I should be on the look out for? While a film-o-clean would be nice, it's out of my price range at the moment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35mm-Movie-Feature-Film-CLEANER-for-motion-picture-projector-cinema-16mm-vintage-/390404329369?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item5ae5e94f99#ht_3868wt_1344

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Film cleaner
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

I sold one of those recently, but never used it. It looks like it would do the job without getting the cleaner on you hands plus the low starting price. It fits between your rewinds. I don't remember if it had a flow control for the out going liquid.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:17 pm 
Film Expert

Harrison, you would be better off just wearing nitril gloves and clean by hand. With the Ecco cleaner, you will get your hands wet anyhow since you have to constantly move the media so the dirt does not build up & scratch the film. On top of that, I don't think you can even buy the cleaning rolls any longer so you will have to cut & make your own rolls...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:34 pm 
Film Expert

Well getting my hands wet wasn't really a concern, I just wanted something that would help get a more even coat of filmguard. As for the cloth I figured I'd just cut sheets of lint-free cloth for it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:47 pm 
Film Expert

Harrison Bradley wrote:
As for the cloth I figured I'd just cut sheets of lint-free cloth for it.

Exactly what I do - old tee shirts.
Filmguard is not difficult to apply. Just remember a little goes a long ways more than you think it does.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:36 pm 
Film Expert

I actually use Filmrenew for brittle and vinigar prints on larger formats. Have never noticed a problem with skin contact myself using soft cotten rags. Keep in mind that I do work in the manufacturing industry and my hands are more like baseball gloves. But still, other than the slight oder which is easily washed off have no other ill effects.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:02 pm 
Film Expert

off topic:

Erik you may find Pure Camphor or LFP a better helper when it comes to brittle or VS prints. I had purchased a print of Twilight Zone from Larry U. that was warped so bad it would not take up even with a half twist of the film at the take up reel. He has soaked it many times with no luck in getting rid of the warp. Keep in mind, that filmrenew is his concoction so if anyone would know if the film could be saved...it would be Larry...I ran the film, it was spotless clean but would not take up. After treating it for several months with Pure Camphor, it would take up tight again.

LFP is liquid film plasticiser made by Peter Goed. This stuff works faster than pure camphor but is a bit more expensive
http://members.optushome.com.au/picture ... drome.html

on topic:

Harrison, thinking about the ECCO and filmguard more...I don't think they are a good match. Trying to get the drip rate just right and the pads and cloths would have to soak up a lot of the stuff that would just be wasted. By hand method would be your best bet IMHO.