8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Eumig 810 D eating film

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Eumig 810 D eating film
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:58 pm 
Film Expert

Hey guys, I've seen a few posts about this projector but need some advice of my own. I picked up this great unit for about $50. The guy said he never used it and, from what I can tell, he was being honest. This thing was in magnificent condition, inside and out. Really just a bit of dust that I airblasted out and had to get a new bulb for it. However, I'm having some serious problems with it.

I correctly changed the teeth and everything so it would accept regular 8mm film, but when all the film I've tried to place in it keeps getting eaten and I have no idea why. I use the provided splicer to get clean cuts and firmly depress the threading key as instructed, but the film always gets eaten either at the first small film sprocket or somewhere around the treading key or fill pressure pad or gate. It's like the teeth will start to pick up the film and then it just eats it up. I've gone back in, redusted, and carefully taken all the parts back out and in to ensure they are secured properly, but to no avail.

I'm ordering some more white leader, hoping that will help (the film is from the 1940s to mid 1960s and probably was not stored in the best condition though, to me, looks to be in acceptable condition) but is there anything else I can do to help? Is there a way to clean or treat the film, or is it a projector problem? As I've said, the project looks to be in great shape and the teeth look fine and even to me. I just really don't want to destroy any more film. I've heard of methods to lubricate areas, but am a real projector newbie and don't know much about this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much,

Royce

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Eumig 810 D eating film
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Royce, welcome to forum!

Does your Eumig have 2 sets of sprockets and 2 aperture plates?

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:45 pm 
Film Expert

Hey Dan. Yes it does, and I'm positive I'm using the correct of each (i.e. regular 8 for the regular 8 I'm using, not the Super 8). I've manually taken the film sprocket wheel and laid it over my film to ensure it is the correct size (it was) and the plates are easy to figure out (smaller square=regular 8, larger one=super 8 (and the super 8 has an "S" on the side of it)). I've re-read the instructs like 3 times to ensure I've changed everything correctly and am feeding the film properly. I'm relatively new at projectors, but have got my common sense and reading skills down pretty good ;) I just don't know if my film is old/bad or if there's a more complicated mechanical issue at work here. Any advice would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

Marcus, have you snipped the end of the leader making sure it is not wrinkled or warped before inserting it into the autofeed? Also, clean the film path with something like FilmGuard in order to lubricate it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:50 pm 
Film Expert

I've used the film splicer attached to the projector, but to be honest it's not that great. I have a better one, but haven't tried it because it seems like a deeper problem then just having the end splice 100% perfect since I've ran some film through and it's split half way through running. Also, the ends were okay to start.

I see a product called filmrenew. Would this work as well? Also, should I apply this to the film/leader and then run it through the projector? Thanks for the quick replys Dan,

Royce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Film Renew works too, but it has a strong smell and is flammable.

Film Guard:
http://www.film-tech.com/products/filmguard.php

If it jams during running, then I am not sure what the problem is. Maybe Lee Mannering will chime in. Could you post a photo of your projector film path?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:11 pm 
Film Expert

Appreciate the advice. I was informed on another forum that it might be a crack in the drive hub, so I'm going to take a look at that as well. Are there any other lubs or cleaners you would endorse? Filmgaurd seems a bit difficult to find (saw one on ebay for $30).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:16 pm 
Film Expert

Hey, sorry it took so long to post this, been a bit buys. Anyways, here is a photo of where the film usually gets jammed and breaks

This is where I'm having the most problems. Sometimes it's like the film with just keep looking around the teeth and never thread properly. I currently waiting on some more white leader to come in the mail, but I think the track and the film needs a good coat of lube. I've heard filmguard is a good product, but I've also seen some places mention that it isn't that great for film that's meant to be archived and was designed for theatrical prints. Any comment on that? Also, with filmrenew does the smell stick forever, or does it just sort of linger for a day? I'm not planning on storing my film in any place that would be exposed to excessive amounts of heat, so I'm not overtly concerned with the flammability issue. Thanks again for all your help guys. Hopefully I'll be able to view these prints soon!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:25 pm 
Film Expert

I would make sure there's nothing wrong with the claw - I have a fairly mint projector of the same model and the fine claw 'pin' is apparently notorious for breaking off when you change the gate, which I unfortunately did to mine. If you look at the claw and what you see is sort of a blunt cylinder with no pin sticking out of the center of it, it's hooped. I accordioned the hell out of a lot of leader myself trying to figure out was wrong. [set5_b/set5_b/redface.gif]

Great machine otherwise, hoping I can either repair or sell mine at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:02 pm 
Film Expert

Hey Paul, thanks for the input. I don't think there's anything wrong with the claw, but haven't had enough time with projectors to really make that call. It looks fine to me (I'll try to get a pic up later). I see a small brass or copper cylinder with an even smaller small silver pin sticking out of that. I assume if it was broken, that silver pin would not be there, correct? Or is there an additional piece I've gone and broken off? I've tried to be diligent about retracting the claw with the provided mechanism behind the projector whenever going under the hood. Also, the fact that the film clogs up around the first set of teeth leads me to believe that it's not the claw. Lemme know what you think, and thanks for the input!