8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Shorter life span brighter EFP lamp?

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Shorter life span brighter EFP lamp?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:30 pm 
Film Expert

On the way to purchasing an efp lamp one seller suggested that the shorter the life span the brighter the lamp. Can anyone shed SOME LIGHT on this subject?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Shorter life span brighter EFP lamp?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Roger, I don't know the answer, but there should be an hour rating on the ad where you are shopping for lamps. What is the f stop on your lens? i.e. 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc.

Are you having problems with getting a bright enough picture?

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:32 pm 
Film Expert

Hi Dan,

I am use to using a Bell-Howell 1744 with a DJL bulb. The 100w lamp on my Eumig just can't measure up to the size or brightness of the DJL. My lens is a f1.3 and I have to view a smaller image to improve picture quality. The spare EFP that I installed is even dimmer than the one that went out . I realize that I could upgrade the lens but I simply can't afford to do so at this time. I love my Eumig but struggle using the 100w lamp.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:36 pm 
Film Expert

Roger,

Something seems wrong here. I've used EFP lighted Eumigs and Elmos for years on a 52" high screen and the image seems plenty bright. My EFP equipped Elmo is brighter than the ST-1200HD (150W bulb) on the low power setting and almost as bright as the full power setting.

One thing to look at is if the new bulb is straight in the mount. If the fillament is a little misaligned from the gate, you lose a lot of brightness.

If your spare bulb has seen action before, you need to check if the glass envelope is darkened. As bulbs pile up hours tungsten boils off the filament and deposits on the envelope, and tints it dark.

While you're at it, you can polish the pins on the bulb: a little better electrical contact can't hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:59 pm 
Film Expert

Thanks Steve,

I removed the spare and reinstalled it. That did seem to help some but it is still not quite as bright as the original. I have purchased an OSRAM SYLVANIA EFP 64627 HLX and will give it a go. The one that is in it is a EFP/LL.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:19 pm 
Film Expert

My first projector was a low-quality Bell&Howell with a DJL, and the only reason it had decent brightness was the picture was so tiny! No, the halogen reflector bulbs should be giving you WAY more light than that, or at least the same brightness with a much larger image.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:19 am 
Film Expert

Bill,

After posting about the DJL lamp I wasn't for sure if it wasn't a DLD. I had two different projectors at the same time using two different lamps. Never the less my B-H would produce a larger brighter image than I am getting from the EFP.