8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Fixing a Chinon Sound 6100

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Fixing a Chinon Sound 6100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:12 pm 
Film Expert

Hello All

My Name is Stevie and I am from London.

Over this festive season I have been fixing up an old Chinon Sound 6100 my parents gave me at the begining of the year. It belonged to my grandfather and I also got some reels with it so was very excited to set it up and have a watch. Sadly every time I tried to turn it on it blew the sockets in my flat. After some extensive works I have finally managed to get the Projector working and have just one rather large hurdle to get over before I can enjoy what I think might be my parents wedding among other things.

The problem is the Bulb. It states that it requires an 8v 50w halogen bulb. the one that was in the projector was made by Fuji-ear apparently. I went to my local supermarket and bought a 12v 50 w bulb that looked similar only to discover that the pins were to close together to fit the bulb socket. I have done some research online and I fear that the bulbs are not made any longer.
the width between the 2 pins on my bulb is 7mm but the one and only 8v 50w bulb I found had a width of 6.35mm much like the one I bought from sainsburys.

Does anyone have any idea of where I might be able to purchase a 8v 50w bulb with a pin span of 7mm or if it would be ok to but a 12v 50w bulb with a pin span of 7mm into the socket if there is such a thing. Or perhaps there is another way of getting a light inside my projector.

I have been working solidly on the machine for over a week now and would be dissapointed if I was not able to get it working because there is no bulb.

any advice or suggestions will be gratefully recieved.

Thank you for reading and I hope that 2012 is a wonderful year for you all.

Take Care
Stevie

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Fixing a Chinon Sound 6100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:38 pm 
Film Expert

Hello Stevie...welcome to the forum!

I was looking at the the super8data site which is a great source for info and it states that this projector uses a 100W, 12V with the code 'EFP'

You should be able to do a search for this bulb and find it. You have to use the bulb recommended by the manufacturer unless you have fitted it with a modification for another.

Hope that helps!

Bill :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, Stevie and welcome to the forum!

Was it blowing the circuit breakers in you home. The bulb may have blow because it had reached it's hours of use(about 50 hours) or the lamp sockets could be corroded. Buy a can of contact cleaner and spray the lamp sockets. Also, buy a tube of Lithium Grease from you hardware store(abut 3£) and apply to the gears in the back of the projector. Sparingly! The bulbs are readily available on Ebay UK. Below is a link that has 5 for 19£ and free shipping. The Chinon, like Bill says, uses an EFP 12v 100watt lamp.

If you could post some pix of the lamp housing area and the inside of the back, that would help.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pack-5-x-A1-2 ... 230700bd3a

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:30 am 
Film Expert

Thank you for your responses Bill and Dan,

I too looked at the super8data website which is why I bought the 12v 50w bulb but the pins were to close together for the socket in the projector, also it says on the projector to use an 8v50w bulb.

I will see if the Osram bulbs work and let you know and i will try and get some photos of the projector to post on here soon.
I put a tourch in the place of the bulb and was able to view some film but It is not the most comfortable way of viewing.

Thank you again for your help

Take Care
Stevie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:02 pm 
Film Expert

Hi Stevie,

The lamp you need is indeed an 8v 50w dichroic 2 pin. Thats what the Chinon 6100 uses and it also has no zoom lens on this bare bones model.
Its the very basic version thus the 50w lamp. I have a new one here that I keep for a spare and the number on the Osram box is 64607A.
You should be able to locate one on the net if you use that number to search. They are available.

good luck with it. [set5_b/set5_b/hat.gif]

dogtor frankarnstein