8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Bell & Howell 481A Info

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Re: Bell & Howell 481A Info
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:20 am 
Film Expert

Hi Ben,

I have recently bought & then serviced a pair of these B&H projectors and so clearly remember the issues I had with the arm spindles.
They are very mysterious to work out the drive. This one wouldn't take up film properly and the other wouldn't rewind film properly.

These projectors have 2 clutches to each arm. Inside the projector is a one way dog clutch that doesn't slip. It locks one way only.
Inside both arms, under the covers, are tiny, weird friction clutches that control slippage in both directions at the spindles.

The small, fine thread screw at the back which holds the spindle on to the arm is originally a plastic screw. This screw is the means of adjusting the rewind tension of the film and the reverse project controlled slippage. Some have had the nylon screw thread damaged or stripped & they cannot be tightened properly any more.

Under the screw is a steel flat washer and a small barrel shaped metal piece that transfers the pressure around the spindle shaft and enables a small dished washer on the spindle to be compressed as the screw is slowly tightened. This provides the friction needed to rewind film.
On the take up arm, the spindle screw adjusts the friction needed by the take up reel.

If all the other parts are there, the remedy is to replace the worn nylon screw with a metal screw. It has a very fine thread so make sure you find the right screw that fits properly. You will need a small flat washer too. Make sure the small barrel is in place then gradually tighten the screw till the rewind function and reverse project work OK. Then do the same at the take up reel.

Good Luck with it and tell us the result.

Attachment:
File comment: Here is my recent purchase of a Bell & Howell Lumina 11, also known as Model 465-EX.
This has every feature known to man including retractable remote control.

15.jpg
15.jpg [ 304.1 KiB | Viewed 2893 times ]

dogtor frankarnstein [set5_b/set5_b/hat.gif]

Last edited by Frank Arnstein on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:54 am 
Film Expert

thanks, but it has a steel screw in it, and its not stripped out- it tightens up just fine. I had the arm cover off and its just full of nylon gears, nothing fancy. if you look at my previous posts, i uploaded pics of the arm with no cover on it. But i have since given up on repairing it, so i'm trying to sell it on my local craigslist for 25.00.. btw that pic isnt the projector i have

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:18 am 
Film Expert

Hi Ben,

These B&H projectors had similar arm mechanics.
Does yours still have the small compressable wave washer on the inside end of the spindle?
Perhaps its missing and allowing the spindle to flop around even when you tighten it.
What about the small barrel shaped piece?

Anyway, if you are selling it then its not a problem for you anymore. [set5_b/set5_b/hat.gif]

dogtor

Last edited by Frank Arnstein on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:27 am 
Film Expert

theres no washers or anything else like that in either arm. i took the cover off the front arm to compare them, and they were the same. there is no issue with the front spindle. I'd like to keep it, but if its going to cost me more then its worth to repair i rather just let it go.