8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - WHAT CAUSES FRAME BURNS?

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: WHAT CAUSES FRAME BURNS?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:41 pm 
Film Expert

hello to all, its been quite a while. i was running a film last night when half way thru the reel, film came to a stop an therefore caused a frame burn. my projector has been running great, i always check film om my film editor to check for worn sprockets etc, i also check to see if film needs to be lubed. this is the only issue this time around, i know my fellow film fans are not a stranger to what i mentioned. it is scary because you think your film got eaten, not the case here. after a minute or two i started up the projector an film ran film to the end. stumped?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: WHAT CAUSES FRAME BURNS?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:38 am 
Film Expert

Hi Thomas, I had a situation where a fuse went somewhere, and tripped the switch in the fusebox, and the projector stopped, and I quickly turned the inching knob to prevent burn. After I had reset the trip switch I checked the film and thankfully, everything was fine. It was a worry though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:56 pm 
Film Expert

ty for the reply robert. but i dont believe the problem you mentioned is whats affecting my projector. i contacted the individual who sold me the sankyo an he mentioned that it could be a glich that affects the speed (frames per second) dial. he said that the contacts to this dial could need a cleaning w/electronics contact spray. this could be the problem, really dont know. does anyone know how i go about cleaning the contacts? thnx :smile:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:39 pm 
Film Expert

Frame burns are a part of life with film. The projector must always be operating perfectly. If for any reason at all a projector would suddenly stop you would get a frame burn if the lamp was still illuminated, whether incadescent or a halogen bulb were used. Another scenario is using those vintage projectors with carbon brushes. On these if the speed is set too low on startup you may not have enough torque to get the machine moving fast enough if the old grease is dry...again, you get a frame burn instantly if you have switched the lamp on at the same time as the motor!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:17 pm 
Film Expert

Hi Thomas, if you keep having problems with these machines ? Then you might have to go to another brand! Like a Elmo at lease you can still get them fixed! And they hold up! Well made. Reply ! Leon Norris.