8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - B&H 456A Autoload Service/Help

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: B&H 456A Autoload Service/Help
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:11 pm 
Film Expert

Hi everyone,
New to the Forum and new to 8mm equipment. I just purchased a B&H 456A Autoload 8/Super 8 Dual and had a friend show me how to load/run film. Everything seemed to work for the first 20 seconds or so, but then the film seemed to jam up and spool. We cleaned it with an air can and the sprockets seem to be spinning. My friend (who knows his stuff, but not enough to repair), said that it's a nice projector, but he wouldn't run anything more until I get it serviced.

A few days later, I threw caution to the wind and ran a different film. It ran ok for 10 or 20 seconds, but then got caught up and melted a frame.

Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck in trying to find someone to service 8mm projectors. So, I came to this forum for a) any service/repair recommendations--I'm in Poughkeepsie NY 12603 but can get to the surrounding counties of Dutchess, Putnam, Ulster, Westchester, Rockland or b) suggestions on what to look for/how to "repair" a potential issues (although I don't know what that issue would be).

Sorry to be so naive and such a newbie!

Thanks in advance.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: B&H 456A Autoload Service/Help
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:45 pm 
Film Expert

James, I hate to say this but Bell and Howell super 8/ regular 8 silent projectors were not to good! I know from experience in fixing super 8 projectors! I fix only sound projectors and that is Elmo's ! If I were you I would get another machine! And leave that bell and Howell alone! It had its day! There's plenty of them around at good prices! Good luck! Leon's Elmo projector repair!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:45 am 
Film Expert

Good to know. I thought the B&H were typically reliable. The good news is that I only paid $15 for it.Ok, so the hunt continues--for a Dual 8 with sound! Any specific Elmo model I should be on the hunt for?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:30 pm 
Film Expert

James, Elmo never made a Dual 8 sound model. I no Eumig did. They were nice and reliable machines! I get them to come in from time to time! If you want one let me know? Prices go by conditions! Leon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:33 am 
Film Expert

Hi Leon,
Yes, I'm interested, but I'm also a bit fearful of continuing to slip down this unintended rabbit hole. I've now been burned by two purchases--all due to my ignorance. Basically, I've found a working silent 16, a working sound 16, and two non-working no-sound 8/Super 8s. It sounds like I have to cut my losses on the non-working 8s (especially since they don't have sound) and find a reliable working 8/Super 8 with sound. My wife already isn't thrilled about this--and the "educational purposes" (I teach English and Film Studies in college) excuse is threadbare at this point.

Thanks,
James

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:11 pm 
Film Expert

Hi James, I just received a Eumig Dual 8 sound projector today! Looks nice and clean. Let me check it out and I will get back to you! Comes with case, power cord. No manual. Well made! All metal! I will give it a good test run! Leon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:25 pm 
Film Expert

Hi Leon,

Thanks--just PM me with the info after you give it a run-through.

-James

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:33 pm 
Film Expert

James, The projector is a Eumig S810 D. Super 8/ Regular 8 sound ! A nice machine! I ran a lot of films and no problems! It did very good! I have to put a price on it! I will let you no when I do! Leon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:15 pm 
Film Expert

Hi Leon,

Sounds good--just let me know. I figure that the price + S&H will be too steep for me, but we'll see!

Thanks,
James

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:53 pm 
Film Expert

James, I will PM you tomorrow adout the price! Plus shipping! If you look up top of the main page! You will see the picture of the Eumig that I will be selling! On the left side up top! Take care! Leon.