8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - QUESTION ON FILM

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: QUESTION ON FILM
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:30 pm 
Film Expert

hello, new member here. i just got back into collecting super 8 films from blackhawk, castle, ken, aap etc. i am enjoying them just as much as i did many years ago. have also bought 2 projectors. one is a dual 8 silent bell an howell, other is a sanyko super 8 only sound projector. one thing i have been noticing after recieving films is that the film just sags on the reel. not tightly wound. i believe this is because film is just old. one thing i am very conscious of is that when film is being brought up to the take up or back to the film reel the film does not offshoot the reel because if it does, it can be a reel pain to work film back on properly. i recently had an incident w/a 400 ft reel. film was projecting wonderfully an film was 3/4 on the take up when film slipped off the reel an got all twisted up. this was due to the film not being wound snugly onto reel. i have no control over this, my take up has no tension button. i know all collectors have an quite possibly experience this. can anything be done? thnx :P

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: QUESTION ON FILM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:40 pm 

Welcome to the Forum, Thomas! Question: do all your films sag on the takeup reel, or just certain ones? If they all sag, it sounds like the belt for the takeup reel may be stretched and needs replaced. I am not familiar with that particular machine--anyone else care to chime in...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

What model is the Sankyo Sound?

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:51 am 
Film Expert

in answer to your replys, it is the sankyo 700 projector an a bell an Howell. the b an h is a dual projector w/the sankyo being just super 8. just some films sag whether it be standard 8 or super. when I have a standard 8 film I have to use the b an h. super 8 I can use either one. I mostly have super 8 films because I like the bigger picture size.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:00 am 
Site Admin

On the Sankyo try twisting the film 180° before attaching it to the take-up reel. if it still sags, then it could be a belt or clutch adjustment problem. I'll try to find the manual on the Sankyo projector. Don't forget to twist the film 180 degrees before rewinding.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:58 am 
Film Expert

Hello Thomas, and welcome to the forum. Not sure I understand the problem properly. Is your film twisted or flat?. I started in this hobby in 1973. I don't watch my Super 8 stuff much these days, but all my films take up with no issues. The only problem I had was with a 16mm projector I bought cheap and the fabric belt on the take up must be slack, as it only wound about a quarter of the film then stopped turning, and I looked around to find film all over the floor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:05 am 
Film Expert

hello Robert an thnx for replying to my question. I am presently using my sankyo 700 sound projector because I believe I am having a belt issue on the b an h projector I also have, so its going to be put away for now. the sankyo I use is a super 8 projector not dual an I prefer super 8 due to the bigger picture. also it is sound an I love sound films. not all films I purchase from sellers sag on the reel. why is this? probably due to film just being old, I really don't know. all I can say is that film that sags on reel projects well an is taken up fine on the sankyo no problems. but heres the trouble when I rewind back onto the film reel film just does not wind as tightly as it should. when film completely ends up on reel some film slides off. the rewind on the sankyo is veryyy fast. I am thinking the only way I can get around this issue is to get a bigger reel like a 600 ft for 400 film so I will not have this trouble. I know I am doing everything right . running film thru a projector an viewing is not a herculean challenge. any help would be much appreciated. thnx :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

Did you try my suggestion?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:25 pm 
Film Expert

I've never had a problem with sagging on Super 8 - only 16mm.
Interesting.
Got any photos you could share.
My first thoughts are an issue with the machine rather than the film, as has been said above.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

Mike O'Regan wrote:
I've never had a problem with sagging on Super 8 - only 16mm.
Interesting.
Got any photos you could share.
My first thoughts are an issue with the machine rather than the film, as has been said above.

Same here. Belt tension or clutch pressure.