8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Loading projector

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Loading projector
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:33 pm 
Film Expert

I am new to your forum and hope someone can help. We inherited an 8mm Eumig mark s810 d and are having a lot of problems with the film jamming at the very beginning. We've been online to get directions but nothing seems to help. We don't want to start taking it apart in fear of not getting it back together correctly. Can some one give some advice, please?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Loading projector
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:49 pm 
Film Expert

There are two kinds of 8mm films. The original 8mm also called standard 8 or regular 8 and Super 8. They have different sprocket holes.
Your projector can show both formats, but you must have the right setup. Otherwise the film will be damaged. Films before 1965 are always standard 8 mm
You can search for a scan of the manual on the web.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:24 am 
Site Admin

Pull off the side cover that covers the projector lamp. Inside the cover should be 2 round sprocket gears and a small plate with small square hole. Let me know if these are there.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

Carol send a photo of the projector showing the gears and aperture plate. There are also 2 more sprocket gears and an aperture plate inside the light housing cover. Judging from the aperture plate in the photo, it looks like the super 8 plate and sprocket gears are presently installed.

Carol, do you know what gauge film you are trying to load into the projector? Is it 8mm or super 8mm?? Once we find this out, I can tell you how to switch the sprocket gears and aperture plate and also set the sound switch to match the film gauge you are trying to show.

Attachments:
Carol Eumg Pic.jpg
Carol Eumg Pic.jpg [ 173.8 KiB | Viewed 4545 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:48 am 
Film Expert

Dan Lail wrote:
Carol send a photo of the projector showing the gears and aperture plate. There are also 2 more sprocket gears and an aperture plate inside the light housing cover. Judging from the aperture plate in the photo, it looks like the super 8 plate and sprocket gears are presently installed.

Carol, do you know what gauge film you are trying to load into the projector? Is it 8mm or super 8mm?? Once we find this out, I can tell you how to switch the sprocket gears and aperture plate and also set the sound switch to match the film gauge you are trying to show.

The film measured as Super 8mm. Thanks, Dan.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:50 am 
Film Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Carol Leskiw wrote:

How are you determining it is super 8?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:44 am 
Film Expert

I found a site online that gave me the different sizes and what the measurement should be. It showed how and where to measure to determine which film I have. If I remember correctly the super 8 measured 5.78mm(?) and the reg 8 film was 4.? Does that sound correct to you? If it is correct what's the next step in loading the film? Thanks, Carol.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:18 pm 

Hi Carol,

Maybe this will help. I found it on the web...it's clear enough to read the numbers in relation to your projector, and I will TRY and transcribe what it says. First, however, check the projector exterior to see if there is a film trimmer. Many projectors require the film end be "trimmed" a specific way in order to thread properly through the machine. If there isn't a trimmer, make a clean scissor cut on the end of the film. Okay, now for the illustration...the numbers in the instructions below correspond to the numbers on the diagram :

1) Connect projector to power supply
2) Swing up the reel arms. Place the reel with the film on the front arm. Fit the universal reel supplied on the rear arm (this is the empty take-up reel.)
3) Move the main switch to the threading position
4) Press the threading key (this looks like a lever on the front of the machine)
5) Feed the film into the threading slot. KEEP THE THREADING KEY DEPRESSED UNTIL THE FILM COMES OUT THE BACK of the machine to the empty reel.
6) Turn the main switch to Forward Projection

Hope this helps, as that looks like a nice machine. Let's get it running and you'll officially become a member of the club

Attachments:
eumiggg.JPG
eumiggg.JPG [ 50.39 KiB | Viewed 4438 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:53 pm 
Film Expert

Dan: Thank You very much for all your hard work. Not sure if it will work but going to give it the old college try. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks, Carol