8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Columbia 2-Reel Comedies Auction

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Columbia 2-Reel Comedies Auction
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:03 pm 

NOT MY AUCTION, but I couldn't help but noitice this very nice group of Columbia Studios comedies and I thought I'd share for those who may have a mind to go for it. I own all of these titles, and others, and have to say the Columbia print quality is second to none. My prints are pin sharp with nice density and crisp soundtracks. Of course, I can't begin to address the conditions of the reels at auction (nor can the seller, for that matter), and you could be faced with lines, etc. It's all part of the eBay dice roll when bidding on an auction like this where the seller has scant info themselves. Regardless, these titles are some of the funniest 2-reelers you'll find on Super 8, Laurel and Hardy and the Stooges included. MEMORIES OF FAMOUS HOLLYWOOD COMEDIANS is a theatrical short documenting early screen comedy. The Andy Clyde reels are A BUNDLE OF BLISS in which Andy tends to a baby, and ANDY CLYDE GETS SPRING CHICKEN where Andy falls in a love with a swimming pool full of bathing beauties--probably more gotrgeous girls here than in any other short i can think of. SUE MY LAWYER and DOG-GONE MIXUP are Harry Langdon comedies from late in his career (and life) and finally, my favorite of the bunch, HALF SHOT AT SUNRISE with Roscoe Karns in a crowded movie theatre. Seven complete theatrical shorts and with three days to go, bid is at $26. The seller also has other "lots" of super 8 sound, so you might want to check it out!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151593405665?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Columbia 2-Reel Comedies Auction
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:39 pm 
Film Expert

I have one of those Columbia Comedy Classics (one which is not included here) - CALLING ALL DOCTORS - Charley Chase. It is indeed a really nice picture but the sound on mine is very poor.
Others who have the same print have perfect sound so I'm guessing it's just my copy. I have never been able to get to the bottom of exactly why, though. There's no apparent damage to the print.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:08 pm 

I have that Charlie Chase title as well, Mick. Don't recall any sound issue, but it's been many moons since it ventured into a projector. I have the entire series of the "Comedy Classic" shorts Columbia released and always felt they had it all over the Blackhawk Super 8 prints as far as quality.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:45 pm 
Film Expert

I only have that one title, Chris.

I have a few Blackhawk Charley Chases - some are excellent, some not so great.
It has become a bit of a fallacy over the years to assume that ALL Blackhawk titles are the best there is, probably because the name is so synonymous with film collecting. To be honest, I've never come across a bad Blackhawk print but the quality does vary.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:08 am 

Someone nabbed a good deal, in my opinion... the auction closed at $61 for the seven films--that's a bargain at less than $9.00 each--PLUS free shipping. I agree, Mick, with your comments on Blackhawk. I think Blackhawk quality often reflected the preprint material they had at hand to work with while the Columbia shorts, and I am assuming here, were from the studio vault materials and thus much better looking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:58 am 
Film Expert

I agree that the Columbia shorts from the mid-late 70's were very nice.

I wish I had more of them. I have only ever had four Stooges shorts -

Three Little Beers - great print but I let some rascal borrow it and never got it back!

Pardon My Scotch and Dizzy Pilots both good too - though the other one - Tassels in the Air looks a bit dupey in comparison.

Sort of wish I had a few Shemp's as well - maybe one day (possibly on 16mm - seem to be more prints out there in that format)