8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Need help with ELMO sound.

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Re: Need help with ELMO sound.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:44 am 
Film Expert

I decided to lay unit on it's back, give it a gentle shake and return it to it's upright position. After doing so I had lost the sound completely but regained it again after repeating the procedure. Shouldn't this be an indication of a connection issue?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:41 pm 
Film Expert

yikes, that must be frustrating Roger. We know "I'm" no repair person/expert, but that does sound like it could be a connection issue by what you just described.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:15 am 
Film Expert

What this is starting to sound like is a grounding problem. I've had the same issues with guitar amps. Without a proper ground you'll get the buzzing 60 Hrz sound no matter what you do. First fix is to simple replace the power cable. Roger, you talked about sitting the projector on it's side then plugging it back in for a little success. You may have a broken ground somewhere most likely in the aged power cord. If you've checked everything in the projector and it all looks good then you need to look at the simpler fix. Have you tried a different power cord? Could be a $10 dollar fix if everything else is working properly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:20 am 
Film Expert

Hi Eric,

I did try the cord from my ELMO ST800 which I have been using and is known to be good. I still had the same problem. You can touch it in different places and hear it. You can run a film and it will sound fine except for the hum - buzz.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:07 am 
Film Expert

Hey Roger. If you touch the metal frame of the projecter and it affects the sound output then I have to insist that you have a grounding problem. If a piece of electronic equiptment is buzzing but changes any character of the sound when you touch a metal part then you provide the ground when touching it. I know it sounds odd but electronics act odd. Chec k everything going to the power connection inside the projector. You showed that another wire was disconnected from it's circuit so check again that ever black wire goes back to the power main connection.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:27 am 
Film Expert

Eric,

I've tried everything that I know and even demagnetized to no avail. The Auto thread locked in the on position and would not release so I sold it on eBay for Parts or Repair last night AS IS NO RETURNS. I already had two to three times more in it than it was worth. I also have my ST800 sold at auction on eBay ending tonight. I don't think that I am going to purchase another but will hold to my films for a while longer in case I change my mind. I'm pretty much spent out and don't feel that I can continue with this fine hobby.