8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - ST-1200 question

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: ST-1200 question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:14 pm 
Film Expert

I have a couple of prints in which part of the perfs are visible on the left side of the screen when projecting.
Are there any gate adjustments which will eliminate or reduce this?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: ST-1200 question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:42 pm 
Film Expert

If the print is shrunken, perhaps some added pressure on the opposite side would help scoot the holes out of the aperture. But it would depend on the projector, too...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:53 pm 
Film Expert

The prints are fine, Bill, as regards shrinkage. Someone elsewhere suggested the prints may have been processed slightly off.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:24 pm 
Film Expert

OK, that makes sense. Man, this is so much a Dino sort of question, because you can't move the aperture, but you might be able to move the film position going through the gate. Of course, I've never tried that!!!

Otherwise, you're stuck projecting it, in which case maybe you could come up with some black masking at screen's edge to let it fall on or some other such lo-fi arrangement.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Do you have another super 8 projector or have access to one to try these films on for a comparison? Since other films you have do not show the perf edge, then the problem points to the film.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:36 pm 
Film Expert

Yes, I'm pretty certain it's those particular prints. I was just wondering if there was a slight adjustment that could be made to compensate.
I don't have a second Super 8 machine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure there are no adjustments on the ST-1200 aperture. Like Bill suggested, tape black cardboard to the side of the lens.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:07 pm 
Film Expert

Nah, I guess I'll just live with it. It's not terribly intrusive. Thanks anyway, all.
:smile:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:45 am 
Film Expert

Hi Mike (and others) This is not that unusual in my experience. I bought a Derann print of "The Mummy" from Adrian Winchester a couple of years ago and he warned me it had been printed a bit off centre and that meant you could see the edges of the area between the image and the sprockets. I can't see that on my two Elmos (a 1200 ST and an 800 ST) but it does show up on my Sankyo 800 - maybe the aperture plates? I don't know - but if you can project onto a screen/surface with a black surround/mask either side and zoom out a little it won't be noticeable.

Cheers - GT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:28 pm 
Film Expert

There's a certain amount of slop in the aperture alignment of the Elmo ST's . I have one Derann print that shows an inch wide white stripe on the left side with my Elmo ST-800 with a 6 foot wide picture, and just the barest, almost completely invisible hint of it with my ST-1200. The two machines have the same gate assembly, but they don't align with the beam exactly the same.

The Eumigs seem to have a narrower aperture, and you get none of this. The problem is there can be scratching at the edges you never see, then you put it on an Elmo and there it is.

I don't think alignment of the picture on the print will force the sprocket holes to become visible, but more like the alignment of the sprocket holes with the edge of the film. As the holes move towards the middle of the film the extra film between the holes and the edge will cause the guides to shove the film inwards until the inside edges of the holes sneak into frame.