8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Help- Who has heard about a Tayloreel 1600' Super 8mm Reel?

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Re: Help- Who has heard about a Tayloreel 1600' Super 8mm Re
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:56 pm 
Film Expert

True Bill and I agree with what you are saying. Thanks for the info, it's appreciated.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:24 pm 
Film Expert

Carlo...I also use an Elmo ST1200HD. I did have a slipping belt and the last feature I was watching did find itself on the floor a little. I am in the habit of looking over every 5 min or so to make sure everything is working proper and the reel was loosely wound it just stopped turning. The new belt solved that problem. The blue 1600' reels are not real true as far as spinning...a bit out of round so to speak...some are better than others. This can cause the film on the take up to rub the side of the reel a bit and wind up loose. But despite these shortcomings it is nice to have these large reels for short features (70 to 80 min.)

Bill [set5_b/set5_b/sifone.gif]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:46 pm 
Film Expert

Told you belt slippage was a problem when using smaller hub reels. Easily fixed with a new belt. Also, Tayloreel is probably the only manufacturer still making super 8 reels but they don't provide the best quality. Awile ago I ordered a box of 10 400' reels and all of them were warped and dragged on the film. The best fix is to run scalding water over the reel until it is pliable then pulling it into shape. They are made from recycled plastic so it isn't hard to mold them to your liking. Once you get one into the correct shape they'll be your best friends. St's were made for longer film runs and larger reels just add to the enjoymnet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

I bought a case of the 1600' blue plastic Taylor reels about 8 years ago. I have only used them on Elmo ST-1200s and GS-1200s. When the case of 24 arrived they had cardboard rings in each reel to keep them from warping. I have saved the rings, but since I hang my reels on a screw, they don't warp. No film falling off the take up reel here. [set5_b/set5_b/sifone.gif] I think the case of 24 cost about nine dollars and some odd cents each with the shipping. Needless to say, I like these reels.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:21 pm 
Film Expert

Dan and Erik,
Thanks for the advice. I know my belt has no problem handling the Elmo 1200' aluminum take-up reel right up to the brim so hopefully it will handle the 1600' reel. I recently bought the 1200 HD and have never replaced the large take-up reel belt, how difficult is it? It looks like all you have to do is remove the screw from the pulley closest to the take-up reel, remove the pulley, remove the old belt, insert the new belt and put the pulley back on with the new belt. Am I close to being correct??

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Carlo, you are right on! It is an easy task to change the belts.

Sometimes you can find thee blue plastic Tayloreels on Ebay.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:30 pm 
Film Expert

Today I received my 1600' Reel. I may have shocked the Postman when I abruptly opened the door immediately upon his arrival, grabbed the package containing the reel, thanked him, shut the door and immediately departed to my screening room to test the reel. Although the reel looked a little flimsy, as I eyeballed it for what seemed like an eternity, it took on a whole new look and feel once it had 1200' of film on it. It ran flawlessly with my Elmo ST1200 HD and did not leave any slack in taking up the film. I did not see any warping in the reel and the film entered the reel pretty straight without any disturbing screeching noises. I then threaded one of my 400' (it was more like 360' or so) Universal 8 Film movies and taped it to the end of the 1200' film that occupied the 1600' reel. The reel and projector continued to collect the film onto the 1600' reel without any problem. I really want the 1600' reel for use in handling my 1200' Elmo reels that are currently loaded to the brim with film and it looks like the projector and 1600' reel should handle the job.

I'd like to thank all of you for your comments and suggestions regarding this reel, your comments were greatly appreciated. I plan on attending Cinevent in Columbus Ohio (May 24th thru 27th, 2013) and would enjoy meeting you guys. So, if you plan on attending the show please let me know so we can plan on meeting.
Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:48 pm 
Film Expert

Carlo...glad the reel will work out for you! My father and I will be attending Cinevent in Columbus on Saturday. We go in the morning and catch the annual animation program and then hang out into the afternoon. Hope to see you there!

Bill [set5_b/set5_b/sifone.gif]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:53 pm 
Film Expert

Bill,
Because of the Memorial Day holiday weekend, with family commitments, I have to leave late on Friday. I will arrive late afternoon on Thursday and spend the night in order to get an early start on Friday morning. I have reserved a room at the hotel for Thursday night. Sounds like I will be missing your date. If you decide to arrive on Friday, let me know.
Carlo