8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Any Good Finds Lately?

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Any Good Finds Lately?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:32 am 
Film Expert

Mike O'Regan wrote:
How come UK thrift stores never have anything cine related???
Out of interest, Dan, how much did you pay for the machine?

Two words.. PAT Testing (Portable Appliance Testing)
Most second hand high street stores wont take on what they see as old cine gear.
:roll:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:16 pm 
Film Expert

Ah, I never thought of that, Lee.
Oh, well!!
:sad:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

Is "PAT" like the UL (Underwriters Laboratories) here in the US. PAT's stamp of approval even applies to used items?

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:56 pm 

I found a couple spur of the moment deals here in the midst of winter....a 10 minute ride and $20.00 netted me a nice Craig's List find: a Bell & Howell 1575A 16mm sound projector. I checked it out at the guy's place, and it was quiet (I know the worm gear is destined for demise at some point) but it was in very nice shape. It had been tended to, and was spotless. He also some reels, including a perfect 1600' Goldberg brown reel. "Here, take this, too," and he gave me a box with a Dual 8 VERNON editor and some reels. On the eBay front, I bought a Super 8 sound Blackhawk print of the Laurel and Hardy "One Good Turn" for a mere FIVE DOLLARS. The bargains are out there!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:27 am 
Film Expert

Although I've been working for 9 months now I still don't have a lot of bucks to throw at 16mm. So, when a cheap pink print of a decent title comes up for sale, I'm all over it like water on a plate. I recently picked up prints of "Operation Petticoat" and "Cat Ballou", 35 bucks apiece. Both are in mostly good condition, the former being extremely clean. Both have minimal splices, lines, and dirt. I thought the scope print of "Far From the Madding Crowd" I got for the same price was also clean. It does sport original leaders and minimal splices, but closer inspection with a magnifier shows this print actually has a million passes and is thick with base lines and thin emulsion scratches that come and go. But... still watchable... for an idiot [set5_b/set5_b/biggrinjester.gif] like me. For $10 I came up with a scope print of a 1965 dud called "A High Wind In Jamaica", starring Anthony Quinn in his first film since his triumphant performance in "Zorba..." and James Coburn. This one isn't really pink, it's like it's devoid of color. The image looks like it's actually faded and a bit milky. Have no idea what it will look like once it's projected.
I haven't projected any of these prints as I have just moved into my new digs and haven't gotten things situated yet.
Mr Lail offered up a free print of a musical called Golden Girl which I quickly pounced on. 1951 Twentieth Century Fox. Mitzi Gaynor's first starring vehicle. My brother's late mother-in-law, June Haver, had already left Fox at that point so who knows? Maybe this title was in development for June at the time she left Fox?
Anyway, except for "Operation Petticoat", I picked up these prints unexpectedly at a time when I didn't know I would soon be moving and would have the ability to run 16mm sooner than later. Should happen in the next few weeks. It was fun just to un-box the accoutrements, set up the rewinds and inspect my new treasures.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:48 pm 

I just this weekend went through a small group of 16mm films that came with an Ampro projector I picked up last May! I remember giving them a quick look and thought they were old religious films. Well, a few are, but what a surprise to find about 1600' of 1940s soundies including The Mills Brothers and Dorothy Dandridge in "Paper Doll". One brother cuts out a photo of Dandridge and she dances to their singing, still in "doll-size". It made my Sunday...(The clips are from a YouTube video posting of the short)

Attachments:
bjbjbj.JPG
bjbjbj.JPG [ 28.8 KiB | Viewed 3661 times ]
tytyt.JPG
tytyt.JPG [ 36.64 KiB | Viewed 3661 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Wow! Chris. How cool is that! Dandridge alone is a great find, but with the Mills Brothers to boot, golden. There is nothing better than soundies for all around entertainment.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:58 am 

Added yet another projector, thanks to my wife who frequents sales and flea markets and often surprises me. I gave it a quick cleaning, fired it up and it runs beautifully. The little red sticker on the top of the machine says $5

Attachments:
File comment: Chinon 4000GL
MVC-812F.JPG
MVC-812F.JPG [ 51.9 KiB | Viewed 3569 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:35 pm 

Picked up MIRACLE ON 34th STREET...a beautiful print, in 16mm, of this classic, for $100. (stock photo--not from my print).

Attachments:
$(KGrHqFHJBME63Uw1g5PBOz(+Lk!F!~~60_58.jpg
$(KGrHqFHJBME63Uw1g5PBOz(+Lk!F!~~60_58.jpg [ 98.15 KiB | Viewed 3421 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:43 am 
Site Admin

Chris, is this Miracle On 34th Street?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next