8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - What Were YOUR Best Film Hobby Moments of 2011 ??

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: What Were YOUR Best Film Hobby Moments of 2011 ??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:30 pm 

I was thinking of the past year and had a few instances that came to my collecting mind...getting involved in this forum (Thanks, Dan!)...picking up an Ampro Premier 20 and a trunk of films for $50 off Craig's List... finally getting a nice 16mm print of DR. STRANGELOVE (it'll be a welcome addition to my Atomic Drive-In Movie Night next summer)...at last, after 20+ inches of rain in August-September, using my new inflatable screen in October for an outdoor show at my friend's horse farm (GREAT audience--chickens, goats, horses and about 25 humans)...and, my 2000 mile round trip holiday film show on Christmas Eve with my daughters in Kansas. Anyone else?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: What Were YOUR Best Film Hobby Moments of 2011 ??
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:50 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
.getting involved in this forum

Garsh, thanks. [set5_b/set5_b/cheers2.gif]

Showing super two reelers at the Laurel & Hardy Festival. Showing A Haunting We Will Go for the Sons Of The Desert. Watching Three Smart Girls with Deanna Durbin Christmas Day brought a guy tear and a smile to my eyes. Well, come on now, it is a change from my favorite Christmas film, Die Hard. [set5_b/set5_b/cheers2.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/lurk5.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/sifone.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/boxing_smiley.gif]

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:04 pm 
Film Expert

Mine was going to Cinesea last October.

Because of the forums ("fora?") it's easy to forget how isolated we are as film folk. The closest collector I know for certain is about 20 miles away and I've never met him face to face.

When I went to the convention I met people I've only encountered on the 'net (They DO exist!). I bought two films from Gary Crawford before I actually found out who he was! The real novelty was Saturday night after dinner we set up a screen and I actually saw prints that weren't mine for a change. Steve Osborne sent a compilation reel and I liked what I saw so much I wound up buying one of his prints.

Saturday night we went out to a little seafood place close by and our table quietly talked about various things both film and non film. The other table got into this heated discussion about the merits of one 16mm machine vs. another. The fun was looking at the faces of the people at the rest of the tables: they hadn't a clue what they were talking about!

Hey Dan?

Do you have anything for guys that drive Fords?
[set5_b/set5_b/Chevy_anim.gif]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:58 am 
Film Expert

Best hobby moments.
Finally getting the films listed. Continuing my quest for a few titles and finding a couple I hoped for. Meeting some new younger collectors and trying to point them in the right direction. Giving what must have been a record number of film presentations for me, especially over Christmas. Continuing to take a super 8 projector out and about showing films to youth groups and introducing them to the wonders of film. Lastly celebrating my 50th birthday and looking back at 40 or more years of my home movie making. 2011 will be a very memorable year for me.