8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Applying film guard

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Applying film guard
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:35 am 
Film Expert

I just got a bottle of film guard and I just had a few question on the application of it. I don't have a film cleaning machine right now so I've been using lint free cloth pads while the film rewinds. They're about 1x2 inches and I've been folding them to about the width of 8mm film then holding it horizontally across(folded over the film). Anyway I've been giving this about 4 sprays of film guard and it seems to be working, but how thick should the film guard be on the film? I can see the film guard very clearly when I hold it to the light and I've afraid it might be a little too thick, plus they're are some dry spots but those might be due to the fact I played it or that I can't apply even pressure, while cleaning, at all times.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Applying film guard
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:24 pm 
Film Expert

Harrison, just wipe it down again with a clean soft cloth. You will pick up the excess and move it to the dry spots. If you have as much excess as it sound, you may have to repeat a few times.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:54 pm 
Film Expert

Filmguard only needs a tiny amount. Use it very sparingly has been the general experience. I also use lint-free cloth (old cotton t-shirts actually) to apply between rewinds.
Harrison, four sprays on the cloth sounds a bit excessive to me. I've found one spray to be more than enough. I generally change the application area of the cloth after 200ft or so of film depending of course on how dirty the print is. I've only used it on 16mm film - obviously 8mm being thinner, ymmv as they say :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

I use old flannel bed sheets. Be sure not apply too much pressure to the film. Read the instructions carefully. Invest in a set of rewinds and locate them in a confined area to keep the over spray from getting on unwanted areas such as your projector. If you;re(your [set5_b/set5_b/smilielol5.gif] ) using your projector as rewinds, you might want to lay a cloth over the projector to keep the over spray off.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:52 pm 
Film Expert

I wouldn't apply it using a projector as rewinds. It would be moving too fast for you to control application and you would need to stop and start it regularly to get a clean patch of cloth plus it probably is not good for the machine to apply pressure with the application cloth making the rewind motor work against this tension.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:16 pm 
Film Expert

Alright thanks for your suggestions everyone. I did take a clean cloth and wipe the excess off of one of my movies and it got rid of most of it, though still when I shine the light in the right way at the film it still has the dry spot pattern(it's somewhat spidery, lines of slightly different color). Though I can't see anything on the screen that looks like it would be a result from it (the film is a home movie I shot). I think rewinds will be my next purchase, will cleaning the film during projection work? I would assume so with film cleaners that go on the supply reel. Anyway I did have one other question. I noticed at the bottom of my bottle of film guard that there was this black residue that wouldn't dissolve into the film guard and just sank back down. I can shake the bottle and it will swirl around for a bit but it always just sinks to the bottom. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Harrison, did you receive instructions with your Film Guard purchase? I believe you're suppose to see the Film Guard on the surface of the film. When projecting it should not show up. You should see a wet gate effect with little richer appearance. Also the film should run smooth through the gate and any lint that might have been on the film will be gone. :geek:

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html