8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Bell & Howell Super 8 Silent Projectors

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Bell & Howell Super 8 Silent Projectors
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:21 pm 
Film Expert

Am very interested to buy late model B&H Super 8 (only) Silent Projector. Have 30-35 hrs of Super 8 from 1967 - 1985 to show. (I recently fried my 50 year old Braun FP3!)

Question: Listings here: http://www.filmkorn.org/super8data/ indicate that later models (just before sound) may be 456, 482, 483 - but I can find no explanation of the suffix "Z" .

Can anyone explain what this means, together with year of manufacture, specs for B&H 483Z?

Recommended models which do not tear up film, are reliable etc would also be of interest.

BTW, I am thinking to replace lamp with one of these modules: http://store.tvedenlampmodules.com/BH-p ... 46607.aspx Thanks.

jonboy834

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Bell & Howell Super 8 Silent Projectors
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:42 am 
Film Expert

The "Z" suffix in the model numbers meant that the projector was originally shipped with a zoom lens.

I have a 456Z projector. It is one of those "sprocketless" projectors which uses that infamous rubber roller that turns to black goo over time. It is a dual 8 machine and uses the DJL lamp.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:59 pm 
Film Expert

Hi John
I have a B&H 461A super8 with the metal film feed sprockets. It's a Canadian model (english & french) and still has the Djl lamp socket. I have converted two other projectors see Dan L post) and its not that hard to do. How ever if you want to go the other route that will work,either way you won't burn film. My other units are duel 8&super8 and have a speed control on them. If your looking to convert film that may be the way to go. Also have some Djl bulbs if you want to burn some film.
Pm me if interested I'm from Niagara Fall Ont. Ed Pendykoski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:36 pm 
Film Expert

Hi Ed: I recently acquired a B&H 483Z (Super 8 only, variable speed) on eBay.

It had a working DSW 2000W lamp but I replaced that with a Tveden EJL plug-in Module and Halogen 200W bulb (50 hr). B&W label states that it is "quiet" but mine ran noisily.

I have stripped, inspected projector, cleaned all gears and lubed with Superlube as recommended on another Forum. Also, as received, ie noisy, the "belt" seemed loose (stretched?) so I installed an O-ring substitute - supposedly correct for the 483 (also from Tveden) - Still noisy?

Have now run 2-3 hrs of Super 8 film OK - but noisy. Speed control functions fine, also slow motion control, motor, fan and new lamp, zoom lens all OK etc

Problem: I suspect that the "belt" installed when I received the unit was perhaps NOT the original. I would like to get the correct spec for that ie material, exact thickness, exact diameter, and if possible, durometer (for stretch). Do you have any useful info on this?? I would be very interested?

On the other hand - the noise may be from another source - any suggestions???

PS Have ordered a 483 Service Manual on eBay - but it has not yet arrived, and may not give a spec ofr the bet, perhaps only a Part Number!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:53 pm 
Film Expert

Hi John check your email: Ed Pendy

John Reid wrote:
Hi Ed: I recently acquired a B&H 483Z (Super 8 only, variable speed) on eBay.

It had a working DSW 2000W lamp but I replaced that with a Tveden EJL plug-in Module and Halogen 200W bulb (50 hr). B&W label states that it is "quiet" but mine ran noisily.

I have stripped, inspected projector, cleaned all gears and lubed with Superlube as recommended on another Forum. Also, as received, ie noisy, the "belt" seemed loose (stretched?) so I installed an O-ring substitute - supposedly correct for the 483 (also from Tveden) - Still noisy?

Have now run 2-3 hrs of Super 8 film OK - but noisy. Speed control functions fine, also slow motion control, motor, fan and new lamp, zoom lens all OK etc

Problem: I suspect that the "belt" installed when I received the unit was perhaps NOT the original. I would like to get the correct spec for that ie material, exact thickness, exact diameter, and if possible, durometer (for stretch). Do you have any useful info on this?? I would be very interested?

On the other hand - the noise may be from another source - any suggestions???

PS Have ordered a 483 Service Manual on eBay - but it has not yet arrived, and may not give a spec ofr the bet, perhaps only a Part Number!