8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Rest in Peace, SQUARE DANCE JUBILEE

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Rest in Peace, SQUARE DANCE JUBILEE
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:02 pm 

I finally had to throw in the towel on my beloved 16mm print of the 1949 Lippert masterpiece SQUARE DANCE JUBILEE. This is one I very much tried to save, but all the King's horses and all the King's Filmrenew baths couldn't do the trick. After several extended soaks in Filmrenew, upside down, inside out, backwards and what not, the print showed zero improvement. It was "spoking" after the last round of treatments and it was time to say goodbye. It had VS from the day I received it, but letting it live outside the can (as most of my collection does) seemed to help extend its life. I enjoyed a number of showings, but it progressively worsened. Now--I am on the lookout for a replacement print. What IS this wonderful film, you might ask? Well, it's a classic Lippert release of a "Donald Barry Production". Don "Red" Barry, "B" cowboy star, gave production a try and this is the result. The paper thin plot is just enough to frame the amazing array of non-stop country music. It's set in "modern" day 1949 and Barry and sidekick Wally Vernon head to the west to round up talent for a musical radio program. They encounter Cowboy Copas, Spade Cooley, Claude Casey and a bunch of lesser, yet highly entertaining, dancers and singers. I'm a sucker for this kind of "small town" stuff. (As a bit of cinema history footnote, a number of the cast suffered back luck and some untimely demises. Red Barry suicided by gun... Wally Vernon was killed by a hit and run driver... Spade Cooley wound up in prison for murder and redeemed himself and was soon to be paroled when he collapsed on stage and died of a heart attack at age 58 while entertaining 3000 Sheriffs...Tom Tyler was distitute and died of a heart attack at age 50...and the great Cowboy Copas died in the same plane crash that killed Patsy Cline.)
Sooooo....I'd appreciate any leads you have on a print of this gem.

Attachments:
square-dance-jubilee-movie-poster-1949-1020710310.jpg
square-dance-jubilee-movie-poster-1949-1020710310.jpg [ 47.69 KiB | Viewed 1623 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Rest in Peace, SQUARE DANCE JUBILEE
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

Chris S. wrote.....

Quote:
Red Barry suicided by gun... Wally Vernon was killed by a hit and run driver... Spade Cooley wound up in prison for murder and redeemed himself and was soon to be paroled when he collapsed on stage and died of a heart attack at age 58 while entertaining 3000 Sheriffs...Tom Tyler was distitute and died of a heart attack at age 50...and the great Cowboy Copas died in the same plane crash that killed Patsy Cline.)
Sooooo....I'd appreciate any leads you have on a print of this gem.

Chris, that vinegar film never stood a chance with a cast with that kind of luck. [set5_b/set5_b/nopity.gif]

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:13 am 

Excellent, Dan [set5_b/set5_b/iagree.gif]

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:44 am 
Film Expert

What a shame. I have heard of Cowboy Copas in the UK. Tom Tyler who was a bodybuilder in his younger years, was the first man in America to press twice his own bodyweight overhead.