8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - What is Jazz Music?

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: What is Jazz Music?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

I have embarked on a attempt at performing as a jazz musician, but I am wondering if people know what jazz is. I read an article recently that said jazz died in 1959. No peaches! Why didn't someone tell me?? Now I have spent all this time arranging and rehearsing these classic jazz standards just to find out the genre is dead. [set5_b/set5_b/toetap05.gif]

What do you think?

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: What is Jazz Music?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:47 am 
Film Expert

In the UK there was a revival of Trad Jazz in the 50s with Chris Barber, Ken Colyer, and a bit later Kenny Ball. Would you call Gene Krupa, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, jazz or Swing music ?.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:46 pm 
Film Expert

...dizmreckstinemilescoltraneellingtongoodmanpepperhancockchetbakergerrymulligancountbasiemonkbird
weatherreportcoreashorterornettebixbrubeckmarsalisadderleybreckertonywilliams
holidaylouisstewartbillhallkruparichbellsonroncartercobbgarlandchambershollandevanspauldesmond
chicohamilton...

...you know the rest baby.
:cool:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

Mike O'Regan wrote:
...dizmreckstinemilescoltraneellingtongoodmanpepperhancockchetbakergerrymulligancountbasiemonkbird
weatherreportcoreashorterornettebixbrubeckmarsalisadderleybreckertonywilliams
holidaylouisstewartbillhallkruparichbellsonroncartercobbgarlandchambershollandevanspauldesmond
chicohamilton...

...you know the rest baby.
:cool:

Give that man with the guitar a a round of applause. [set5_b/set5_b/hurray.gif]

BTW, Chico Hamilton is one of my all time favs. I didn't see Kenny Burrell in there. :mrgreen:

Robert C. wrote....
Quote:
Would you call Gene Krupa, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, jazz or Swing music ?.

I know they are all great players and can play jazz, but the bulk of there music I would say is swing.

Maybe it's the Atlanta metro area's traditionally country, blues, "southern rock" that is making it difficult to find venues with cool or sophisticated jazz.

In the 1950s it evolved into a sound that is very unique. An art form. Improvising over a theme in various chordal modes unlike nothing before. Like Charlie 'Bird" Parker or Chet Baker(love Chet Baker)! Brubeck's Take Five album is still unmatched.

The newer generations think any fusion is jazz or that Eric Clapton is jazz, etc. Love Clapton too BTW. As far as contemporary players, Diana Krall is the real thing, except the 70/80s top forty cover tunes releases.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:55 pm 
Film Expert

In any book on Jazz history, you'll find Swing in there...it's still Jazz. I don't really see that there is any exclusive definition.

The Swing Era was just an era in which that was the prevalent form. Jazz has had many eras in which the music developed from one form into another - Ragtime, Traditional, Bebop, Hard Bop, Modal, Swing, Cool, Fusion...and so on.

I reckon Miles Davis had the right idea when he spoke about not needing to give the music any label in particular. The fact is, as any read through record reviews over the years will testify, so-called "Jazz purists" will insist that Jazz is whatever they want it to be. There were those who said that white people couldn't play jazz, those who said that electric instruments could never belong in jazz, etc. It's all meaningless.

Jazz died in '59??? The year which saw the release of KIND OF BLUE, MINGUS AH-UM, THE SHAPE OF JAZZ TO COME...??? I think not. Who in the blazes said that??

BTW, for a good readable history, might I recommend THE HISTORY OF JAZZ by Ted Gioia.
[set5_b/set5_b/coolgleamA.gif]