8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - New Member -- Hello!

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: New Member -- Hello!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:02 pm 
Film Expert

Hello Fellow Members!

I was invited to join this forum by Chris Smith, whom I met in person a few months back. So, I joined [set5_b/set5_b/coolgleamA.gif]

Some of you may know me from the other forums (16mmFilmTalk, and 8mmFimTech). I have been active on the forums about a year now, but my interest in the hobby goes back 35+ years. For those that don't know me, I'll bore you with some useless info (and you may have read this on other forums, if so I apologize in advance):

-Been into 16mm for close to 35 years (I'm now 40). My father was into 16mm since HE was a kid, going back to the 50's (and obviously my mentor). He passed on in 2009, and I inherited his collection. He once had over 500 features at the height of the hobby, but due to recessions, and films started to go pink, he unloaded most of his stock in the 90's. Currently I have over 100 features, plus about 45 cartoons, and some 3 Stooges/Laurel & Hardy shorts. My interests (and collection) range from the 40's through the early 90's.

-I was around during the FBI raiding days, recalling how my dad talked in "code" on the phone when making deals with other collectors. To protect himself, he spread storing his collection around to various family member houses in case he ever got raided, so they wouldn't get everything at one shot.

-My father had his own actual movie theatre at age 13, and it was featured in the Philadelphia Daily News!

-I had (earlier this year) 11 projectors. Gave one to Chris Smith for parts, and going to be getting rid of a few more soon. Currently I have (4) B&H (including (2) that are the NOS military ones from MagnaTech on Ebay), (4) Kalart Victors (70-15, 75-25, and (2) 80-25's). I also own an Eiki RT-0, and brand new, never been used Elmo (8mm) ST-1200 HD. Have a variety of lenses for each projector, too.

-I absolutely positively, completely hate slot load (C Channel) machines. Probably as much as others hate B&H Autoloads :lol:

-I service Regal and U/A theatres nationwide with my company, going back to the 60's (3rd generation/current owner). If you are from the Philadelphia area, and remember theatres like the Duke & Duchess, we used to manufacture all of the outdoor signage & movie marquees (my grandfather was employed with the SamEric corporation, thus how we got our foot in the door). Also acquired a lot of film-related items from the theatres.

-Every year I put on a massive outdoor double feature showing, on a custom built 12' x 16' screen, with 2 projectors (for changeover). Also run a full blown snackbar, too (I have an industrial popcorn machine, industrial hot dog rolling machine, industrial cotton candy machine, nacho cheese dispenser, etc). Thankfully I am blessed with a wife who doesn't strangle me with my interest in this hobby, and has come around to appreciating it and enjoying almost as much as I do (almost) ;)(:

And that's the short of it. Hopefully this post didn't come off as boasting or bragging, but rather to inform and introduce. Hope to become a valuable member of the forum :-) Feel free to ask questions if you'd like to know more!!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New Member -- Hello!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:24 pm 

Welcome, David, glad to see you joined! Looking forward to your posts on here and catching up with you for one of your outdoor shows. (David is just down the road a bit from me.) Check out our mission statement above, that Dan Lail wrote, and feel free to have some fun here!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:23 pm 
Film Expert

Hi David,

I also hate slotload machines.

:smile:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:58 pm 
Film Expert

Hello David!

Why do you guys hate slotload projectors?

Bill :?:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:49 pm 
Film Expert

Well, Bill, for me it's just not being able to see that rear sprocket. I'm speaking of the Eiki SL machine I had a few years back. I like to be able to see where my film is travellling, especially where ther are toothed sprockets engaging with it.
:D

In any case, I come from a manual thread 35mm background, so I have always preferred manual threaders even over self-threaders.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:11 pm 
Film Expert

For me, the reason I hate them is essentially one minor incorrect lineup, and <BAMN>, the minute it's turned on, it starts shredding the film (which is already threaded, so chances are you are even closer to the actual print and less so the leader). Once you "lock and load", you won't know what's engaged until it's too late.

It's happened to me, and I have seen it happen with a friend's Singer projector (of which he had for years and was no amateur).

Some would say put more leader on it, I feel what I usually have on there is enough.

With the Kalart Victors (Pre-90 model) they are all manual load, and have safety trips. If anything goes wrong, you'd be lucky to have 1-2 frames get damaged before the machine shuts down.

For the "autoload" shredders, as people like to call them, here's my rebuttal -- an autoload will only damage the first few inches of film, if it gets jammed up. Once it's loaded through, it's fine. So I'd rather have the beginning of my leader torn to shreds (in the rare case an autoload would do so).

Again, just my preference, everyone's is different :smile:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:58 pm 
Film Expert

David C. Lucidi wrote:
For me, the reason I hate them is essentially one minor incorrect lineup, and <BAMN>, the minute it's turned on, it starts shredding the film (which is already threaded, so chances are you are even closer to the actual print and less so the leader). Once you "lock and load", you won't know what's engaged until it's too late.

:

Yep. That sums it up.