8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Buying a 16mm sound projector

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Buying a 16mm sound projector
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:26 am 
Film Expert

Just need a little advice and I thank you ahead of time for your response. What do I look for in a good 16mm sound projector?
I'm sure you all know the crap I own which is a Kalart-Victor 90-25. I do like the loop reset on this machine, but too many headache since the day I purchase it on ebay. Needs a new pull-down claw which is impossible to find.

What I am really asking is when buying a used machine which machines can you still get parts for?s. Your suggestions are deeply appreciated.

I have met some really great people on the forum and I thank them for their positive responses.

Any suggestion to look for in a projector again would be appreciated.

Best regards to all forum members and thank you for you help.

Ron Green

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Buying a 16mm sound projector
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

Ron, there aren't many projector repair people anymore. If you're mechanically inclined you can maintain your projector(s). I have found a good system is to have one projector that works and another junker of the same model for parts. The 2 most popular are Eikis and Bell & Howell 1500 series and B&H 2500 series. Of these 2 brands you can select auto load and manual load. There are a lot of these projectors out there. Institutions used them and private owners as well. I have a couple of each. I prefer auto loads. You can find these for sale on Ebay and sometimes on forums. Remember, when purchasing on eBay a lot of the sellers know nothing about projectors. They may have inherited them, bought them at estate sales, or thrift shops, etc. Richard Pachette and Ken Layton are members here who restore and sell working projectors.

When purchasing a $50 or $60 projector, first lube the nylon and metal gears. I use white lithium grease. Oil any armatures. Spray the contacts and pots with contact cleaner. Clean the film path. Replace tired belts. The B&H lens cost less that the Eikis, especially the one inch and 1.5 inch. The B&H sound circuit boards can be unplugged and replaced easily. Not sure about Eiki.

If you need help restoring a projector, post photos here and members will be able to post advice! All for free! If you need help uploading photos, contact me or Chris Smith and we will help. :D

Attachments:
Eiki Slim Line.jpg
Eiki Slim Line.jpg [ 161.54 KiB | Viewed 1537 times ]
B&H Projector.png
B&H Projector.png [ 708.02 KiB | Viewed 1537 times ]

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

Post subject: Re: Buying a 16mm sound projector
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:37 pm 
Film Expert

One thing to be concerned about on the B & H (which I own and love) are the worm gears. Expensive repair - $ 400.00 range. It is my understanding ALL the original worm gears are bad (defect in original manufacture). The original worm gears are white - the replacement worm gears are black. Both Richard Patchett (here in Michigan) and Richard Burgess (in NC I believe) can repair these or sell you a re-conditioned machine. I also agree with Dan the EIKI is a nice machine, built like a tank!! [set5_b/set5_b/beatdeadhorse5.gif]