8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - "Cored"

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Cored"
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Let's not forget that this print of GWTW wasn't on cores of any sort, so transferring them would have been a nightmare for most collectors.

You are so right, Mal, and if he did receive them without cores, how in the heck did those holes in
the center happen to fit the center hub on that "platter onna plank" video?

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:02 pm 
Film Expert

Steve Klare wrote:
I would guess in a typical modern theatrical settup the film would go from cores to the platter and then back and might never see a reel, true?

Back in my day, 1979-84, the prints, particularly older used prints, often arrived with no centres. Standard size cores, however would always just fit into the centre fairly snugly, thus allowing for the reel to be mounted on a split. The practice was to remove the core before shipping on to the next cinema, so the centre was exactly the right size to receive a core at the next stop. In fact, if I recall correctly, the centre would sometimes be stuffed with newspaper in order to prevent the print losing shape - it didn't always work.

We didn't use a platter. We used a Westrex tower which held 12000ft reels.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:57 am 
Film Expert

Core gate is like a slow developing disease, that you think has subsided and then it catches you when you least expect it..I was sitting along pleasantly enjoying my life and then I thought back on something..GWTW was supposedly on 3 x 1200' reels and 1 x 800' reel when he received it, but they were damaged so he had to "uncore" the film using his one 600' reel to screen the film and check it for damage..The only way this is possible would be to break down the 1200 foot reels into 600 foot sections, which would require breaking splices. Was footage clipped? was the tape carefully pulled off? Important information on a $700 purchase, likewise, I have never really seen a damaged elmo 1200 foot reel as those things are about as sturdy as anything I have ever come across, so how could that much damage occur to the reels with no damage occurring to the print itself?

Also there was mention of other films being sent from Fred on 1200 ft elmo reels to be sold by him, yet virtually all of the films he has been selling online are "cored" so are all of the reels getting damaged when they get to him? Does anyone know the other titles Fred has sent to him to sell? If these are the same "cored" titles being sold, where are all the reels going and why are they all being removed?

I hate to mistrust Osi as I do really like him, but the level of bizarre misinformation does nothing but make your brain obsess on what is true and why all of the weird tales? GRRRRRR..I have such better things to do with my brain, why does this even matter? [set5_b/set5_b/svengo.gif]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:20 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
why does this even matter?

Hi, Dino. I know what you mean. All these questions in your reply above could have been answered quickly 6 weeks ago when they were first asked of Osi. Why did Osi last Saturday post two on two forums thread accusing me of slander and libel and threatening me with court action?? All I have done is ask him questions just like the ones you just asked. I spoke with Fred. He said he shipped all the films to Osi in fiber cases that were strapped and taped. He said all the Elmo 1200' reels containing films were in their original Elmo boxes placed inside fiber cases. All this leads me to ask "why the Platter onna Plank"? My name has been dragged through the mud. Why?? Why is that libel threat post still up on Small Format? Very disturbing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:38 am 
Film Expert

I seem to remember not too long ago Osi was selling some ELMO 1200' reels empty....pehaps just unreeling the films to sell the reels seperately...OK, fine but why all the story telling?

[set5_b/set5_b/banghead.gif]

Bill :smile:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:18 am 
Film Expert

Bill, I was going to say virtually the same thing regarding selling 1200ft spools. If he just said I removed the film from the spools to sell separately and make a bit of extra cash, well as you say, no problem with that. Oh what web we weave.....
Now that Osi has decided to 'spend more time with his family' away from the forums, I doubt we will ever get a satisfactory answer. [set5_b/set5_b/beatdeadhorse5.gif]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:03 am 
Film Expert

'spend more time with his family' How convenient! I have been following this since the beginning and there was turd in the punchbowl that needed to be flushed. His entire shenanigan is shameful!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Dino, you are right. He is now saying that he received these films from Fred on reels (1200'). Six weeks ago when this started on the 8mm Forum in a post entitled Gone With the Wind screenshots on 02/11/14, he states, "In this case I got it cored, but just to show my determination to sell something proper, I actually had to "uncore" each and every reel with my one empty 600ft reel, just to test each reel and make sure it was in prime condition." Please note that the actually states that he "got it cored", but in the same sentence he says "I actually had to "uncore" each and every reel with my one empty 600ft reel, just to test each reel and make sure it was in prime condition." This is saying he received cored, but then he received on reels that had to be uncored???

Then about 4 weeks later, on 8mm Forum in a post entitled Osi's Challenge 03/07/14, he states, "I think that in the future, if I allow this fellow to send me anymore films, they MUST be on reels in the first place as, quite frankly, It's kind of a hassle in the first place to deals with these cores." This post was made before anyone knew that he was selling Fred K. Willders' films.

From these quotes, you can see that it is simple to see that something does not add up. For questioning these inconsistencies, he has repeatedly called me a "liar", "stalker", and has threatened me with a libel lawsuit.

Here is the thread he started on Small Format threatening me with a lawsuit:
http://www.mrelmo.co.uk/smallformat/vie ... =18&t=4322

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:03 pm 
Film Expert

From what I can gather, some members thought that Mike O'Regan was the bad guy for continuing this topic. It's good to see him vindicated at last.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:11 pm 
Film Expert

Well, folks, I don't think there can be any doubt at this stage that Osi has been dishonest here.

Just go back through the various threads and try and piece together a coherent and consistent story.

Dino,

I, too, have got better things to be doing than hassling Osi for answers to these questions. However, he is being totally dishonest and laughing in peoples faces, knowing he's protected on the other forums.

The last two questions I asked of him, ie. 1) why did he say he got the print cored when he now says he got the print on reels, and 2) why did he say he had only one 600ft reel to work with when he must have had the undamaged 1200ft reel from Fred's film to spare also - he has refused to answer. In, fact, on Doug's forum, he hasn't even acknowledged the questions.

There is no way to answer these questions except to say, "I lied". I deliberately tried to phrase them in such a way.
Once Fred has been introduced into the issue and such 'bottom line' questions are being asked, what does he do after all this time?? - he locks the thread on the forum on which he's a moderator and he ignores the question on the other forum.

This issue is not only about Osi. It's about the forums and the fact that we've always thought of them as a safe place to do business, away from some of the shady sellers on ebay. Well, how can the members just sit by and pretend that Osi is Mr Shuckity-Shucks-innocent-collectors-friend-all-round-good guy when he is so blatantly trying to pull the wool over their eyes?

This is the reason I have kept up the issue and pressed him for answers.

Also, like yourself, Dino, I have nothing personal against the guy. How could I? I don't even know him?

If anybody else outside of the forums had acted as he has, not to mention the tirades against Dan - " I own you, Dan", etc. - he would've been torn apart by the righteous forum members. So, why does Osi get special treatment?

ps: Mal, I just saw your post. I appreciate your kind words, but I don't think I've been vindicated at all, nor do I particularly want to be. I just want people to wake up and see what's going on around them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next