8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - "Cored"

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Cored"
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:22 pm 
Film Expert

Dan Lail wrote:
Well, I spoke with the person for whom reel-ality is selling the films. This person said he sent the films to reel-ality on reels. reel-ality stated he received the films off reels without cores.

Are you serious?

So, Osi received GWTW on reels????

But, he plainly stated, regarding this print:

Quote:
In this case I got it cored, but just to show my determination to sell something proper, I actually had to "uncore" each and every reel with my one empty 600ft reel, just to test each reel and make sure it was in prime condition.

If what you've heard is true, Dan, then Osi's statement is a blatant lie!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
If what you've heard is true, Dan, then Osi's statement is a blatant lie!

It is a lie. The owner of Gone With The Wind and other films send to reel-ality verified he sent them to reel-ality on reels!

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:08 pm 
Film Expert

Well....I'm kinda lost for words. After all that business on the other forums with everybody taking Osi's side to the point of the threads being shut down....and now absolute proof that he's been lying from the start.

:sad:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

The owner of these films has asked to be anonymous, but maybe he will step forward soon.

It is a shame the way we were dragged through the mud just for seeking simple answers to disturbing claims. Wish I had this info before threads were deleted or locked on the other forums. I ran across this person by accident while inquiring about films for sale.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Steve K. wrote.....
Quote:
Is the saving on shipping cost really worth it if you need to buy reels after you receive the film

Steve, not sure if you were following the posts on the other forums about Osi's coring machine and what it
was used for, but here is a quick catch up:
Early on in these posts, Osi stated he received the recent features he is selling for another person off reels.
He is saying that he received the films with no reels and no cores. He also stated he had no reels(he had
1 x 600', 2 x 200') and no cores. Now I am finding out from the person who owns these features that he
shipped these films to Osi on reels.

As far as storing Super 8mm on cores, gee that is a lot of work. Most features do come on reels, so why
not keep them on there, especially if the reels are plastic. It is just part of the high cost of being a film
collector. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:41 pm 
Film Expert

It's actually a general question, because given the weight of many 35mm or 16mm reels I understand why the shipping cost would be less, but I'm curious how it would benefit a typical collector who to my mind will want the film on reels anyway.

Does the decreased cost of shipping more than make up for the cost of a new reel or do some collectors maintain some of their collections on cores? I could see that in a very large collection where there are films that might not go on screen for several years at a time.

I often don't know what I'm going to watch 30 minutes before the lights go down, so I need more random access than transferring cored film onto reels ahead of the fact could allow.

Last edited by Steve Klare on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:54 pm 
Film Expert

Quote:
It's actually a general question, because given the weight of most 35mm or 16mm reels I understand why the shipping cost would be less, but I'm curious how it would benefit a typical collector who to my mind will want the film on reels anyway.

I agree. Being mainly a 16mm collector I sometimes ask for a print to be cored if I'm getting it from the US. It does drop shipping quite a bit in some cases.
But, once I receive the print it goes up on reels and stays there.
Back in my projectionist days, I got very used to handling 35mm prints with no centres - I don't think I dropped even one in 5yrs - but I just don't like handling 16mm off reel.
There is no way I'd want to deal with Super 8 on cores. It's not a practice I ever even heard of prior to the recent issue.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Steve, the cost of shipping 16mm or 35mm overseas could be reduced especially if you could get the cored films in a
Flat Rate Box. I cannot speak for storing 35mm as most of my collection is 16mm, Super 8mm and Std 8mm. I
do not store any of my gauges on cores because I have film shows often and want everything to be instantly
accessible for viewing. Some of our film shows consist of showing random films on a whim.

Since 8mm split reels are rare. I think Larry can make an 800' split reel on request. Then finding the cores
could be a bit difficult. It's just too much trouble, and for such a narrow gauge, the film could be rather
fragile unless you taped it between two pieces of cardboard. The majority of Super 8 features are on 1200'
reels. Once again, too much work for me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:15 pm 
Film Expert

I would guess in a typical modern theatrical settup the film would go from cores to the platter and then back and might never see a reel, true?

I'd have to want a S8 print really badly to accept it like that. I can imagine waiting until I was alone in the house to deal with it too (no distractions!).

I would imagine a couple of hundred feet of film could get pretty lively if released into the wild that way!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:46 pm 
Film Expert

Steve Klare wrote:
Is the saving on shipping cost really worth it if you need to buy reels after you receive the film, or do you keep some of your films on cores and only reel them occasionally when you watch them?

I could see doing this with films you watch rarely, and of course it's worth it if you have a stash of empty reels in the first place.

Let's not forget that this print of GWTW wasn't on cores of any sort, so transferring them would have been a nightmare for most collectors.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next