8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Zapruder 8mm Film

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Zapruder 8mm Film
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

As sad as it is, the Zapruder 8mm film has been used to give more information that any other available evidence in the JFK assassination. That along with live sound recordings from several source. Can you think of another small gauge film as famous as this one?

Here in the US the assassination conspiracies run wild. Several TV documentaries keep popping up. Some depict Oswald as the loan assassin and other say he was a scape goat. Looks like new digital technology and advanced DNA forensic science could finally solve this case.

Why are a few frames of the Zapruder film missing? [set5_b/set5_b/leaving.gif]

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Zapruder 8mm Film
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:15 pm 
Film Expert

I can't think of any other piece of film anywhere that is as important as this one. They say Abraham Zapruder had originally decided to leave his camera home and just watch the parade, but somebody talked him into bringing it. He said later that he was shocked by what he was seeing in his viewfinder and his first instinct was to stop filming, but even then he realized how important this was and he forced himself to kept going.

Can you imagine the directions the investigation would have gone if either of these had happened? Fortunately we're talking about the beginning of a roll of film and a freshly wound spring too!

I've heard the frames were destroyed during an early duplication attempt.

They may solve the case someday, they probably already have. Either way, everyone will never agree on it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:21 am 
Film Expert

Hi Dan and Steve - some more info please on the missing frames?

My understanding from reading books and watching various docos over the years was that whilst the Zapruder film remained intact, Life magazine elected to remove (or was told to?) the head shot frames from the frame by frame photo coverage it published (very late 63 or in 64?) on a multi page spread where the images first were made public. I believe The complete Dealy Plaza sequence only entered the public domain in either late 75 or during 76 - probably during the time of the President's select committee to examine the likelihood of a conspiracy - I remember vividly seeing it for the first time on a Channel 7 news broadcast here in Australia around that time. Many tv shows decline to show those few frames, either fading out just before or dissolving from one segment prior to just after. I've read about tampering with the film but wonder if you could be more explicit about what's missing?

Cheers - by the way Dan like your forum!

Just edited this post - perhaps you are referring to some removed footage that comes before the start of the footage as we know it. There is some conjecture that the shooting began quite some seconds before what is the common (historical) record!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

Guy Tessier wrote.......

Quote:
Cheers - by the way Dan like your forum!

Thanks, Guy. :D

I haven't read about the Life magazine articles. A docu was on a couple nights back that said the missing frames were defective and had too be removed by the CIA. [set5_b/set5_b/toetap05.gif]

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html