8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - VCR repair

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: VCR repair
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:46 pm 
Film Expert

So I've got a Sony SLV-N50 that has an issue. After being on for about a minute it's picture dims(almost goes to black) and starts rolling. This happens whether it's playing a tape or something in it's antenna input. It will however display a blue screen fine when there is no input. I had also noticed that the machine was moving a little slow with rewinding. Anyone know what the problem might be? I'm trying to save this one because I use it as an RF demodulator and it gives a nice picture for my Famicom. My other VCR's have this weird ghosting that's noticeable when the background is black in games.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: VCR repair
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:24 am 
Film Expert

In the 80's, my buddy's brother in law owned video stores. He would service VCR every day. He said most of the problems were fixed with a simple open of the case, spray with electronics cleaner and replace the belts (o-rings) that had stretched. You may want to find a few new in box VCR's and put them in storage for future use if you plan on keeping that format around for a while. Sorta like we did with film & projectors. [set5_b/set5_b/cheers2.gif]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:40 pm 
Film Expert

Harrison, if that doesn't work and you're willing to sink money into this, my favorite repair guy is Mark at FET Electronics in Burbank, CA. I really think he can fix anything. (Except stuff that nobody can fix.) His rates are exceptionally conservative but you'd also have shipping both ways.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:47 pm 
Film Expert

I have to absolutly agree with Wayne on this one. Was at my local store after work today and browsing around the electronics section, they have sual-deck VCR-DVD combo units in stacks for $30 bucks each. The VCR section of the units were 4-head Hi-Fi plus you got a DVD player. Just buy a new unit for cheap. The local thrift stores have finally realized that they can't even give away VHS tapes and have them all marked 'Free'.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:08 am 
Film Expert

I think I'm gonna race ya to the store. My VCR just ejected a tape case the other day with the tape still inside the machine. [set5_b/set5_b/banghead.gif] It just had to be my copy of the hard to find doc. Drive-In Blues. [set5_b/set5_b/banghead.gif]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:41 pm 
Film Expert

Yeesh Wayne. Not good. The K-Mart chain of stores is getting rid of excess stock and they have the Magnavox DVD-VCR combo units on clearance right now. The ones they have on clearance connect with either RCA or coaxial. They do not upgrade the video quality like newer ones. Seems they bought a lot of these and nowadays they aren't wanted at all. I got two at $30 each just to run a few really rare tapes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:41 pm 

Thanks for the tip, Eric. 30 bucks for the machine is a good deal--there are some VHS tapes I'll never part with and I need a reliable playback machine.