8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Film Convention Poll

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Film Convention Poll
Would You Attend? Yes! 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
Would You Attend? No! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: Film Convention Poll
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:39 am 
Site Admin

This is in the brainstorm stage. I was thinking about a film convention for three gauges of film. 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm. Location is everything as they say. Maybe a central location on the Eastern half of the US, possibly Charlottesville, Virginia?

1. What would be a good central location?
2. All Gauges? 8mm, 16mm, 9.5mm?
3. In a Hotel or Convention Center?
4. Celebrity Guests?
5. Sale Tables and Film Shows?
6. Near Freeway and Airport
7. Anymore ideas.

Let's hear some input. [set5_b/set5_b/smilielol5.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/toetap05.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/willy_nilly.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/nopity.gif]

Don't forget to submit your vote above this post.

Thanks!

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Film Convention Poll
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:07 am 
Film Expert

I am hoping to attend the New Jersey Cinesea event in October....and I regularly attend Cinevent in Columbus Ohio (only a two hour drive) although that show is not exclusive to film as it has video, DVD and tons of posters, lobby cards and magazines.

I like the idea of a convention for collectors. Personally I can't afford to spend money on films and stay in a hotel so I like the idea of something that I can attend in one day (drive time included). Your right, location is everything. That is why I am HOPING to attend Cinesea...I think its a 9-10 hour drive plus hotel expenses....I just can't go some where with tons of films and equipment are there for the shopping and have no money! It would be nice to meet up with fellow collectors but I would rather do that without tons of film laying around. To me you go to a film convention to buy film. I hope that doesn't sound to shallow. But I'm not ruling out not going either...I really do want to go.

Anyway, I agree with everything on your list except having a celebrity guest...unless it's Shorty!

Bill :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

What! No celebrity guests? Crusty, the clown, might be available. [set5_b/set5_b/sifone.gif]

But all seriousness aside, have you had a bad experience with celebrity guests? I have never been to a film convention, and have not experienced celebrity guests either. So this venture is all new to me, hence the poll.

Also it would help if all members added their location(city, state, country) to their profiles. This partly my fault because, on the original registration page there was no box to enter your location. As of yesterday, I have added a location box to the registration form. You can also add your location by clicking on the link at the top of the page called "User Control Panel". Then in the left column, click on "Profile". That will bring up a page where you can enter your location.

I have been learning as I built this forum a lot about computer workings that I never knew - I am definitely not an expert, but have learned a lot putting this forum on the net.

Here's what I was thinking as far as demographics - somewhere between New England and Florida, Missouri and New Jersey - right smack dab in the middle as close to an interstate, airport, and nice hotels/motels. I am think the setup would be: a very clean climatized room that is aesthetically pleasing. I would like to have movie soundtrack music playing lightly in the background, a small PA system for scheduled announcements, and Shorty(Joe Caruso). [set5_b/set5_b/hurray.gif] We would need access to a room for scheduled late night screenings. This would be a two day event.

More opinions are needed, so please join in and let me know what you think. [set5_b/set5_b/gnorsi.gif]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:51 pm 
Film Expert

I have not had any bad experiences with celebrity's....I guess depending on who the celebrity is it could draw the focus away from the small gauge. It would be cool to have a Castle or Ken editor or some such person connected to the history of 8mm be the celebrity. But then again depending on who that is it would run the cost of the event up.

Is this something that you are going to try and organize? Put it as close to Massillon Ohio as possible!!! :lol:

Bill :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

Bill, that is a really good idea about having someone from Castle or Ken, or someone in the technical end of the industry that was involved in creating the small gauge films. Matter of fact, several members are knowledgeable in film printing, editing, etc.

If I can, I will do this. Right now, it is in the gathering information stage. I can't be out of pocket on this deal, and I have to make it cost effective for everyone involved.

I was looking at the map of the USA tonight, and came up with Charleston, West Virginia. How close is that to your location? I did a quick guestimation of about 200 miles?

If this materializes, my wife and I would drive to the event, and bring some films, memorabilia, and equipment with us.

Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:54 pm 
Film Expert

Dan,

Yeah, that's about 200 miles south..... [set5_b/set5_b/auto.gif] ....but I was only joking about being so close to it. That would be a long drive for you! I guess no matter where you put it it's a long drive for someone. I really think it would be cool to have someone there that was involved in making the digests and could share the history of the commercial small gauge with us. To me, that's a celebrity!

Bill [set5_b/set5_b/sifone.gif]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:58 pm 
Film Expert

That'd be quite a long drive for me :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

Mike O'Regan wrote:
That'd be quite a long drive for me :cry:

You could just about make it across the Berring Straits. [set5_b/set5_b/party.gif]