8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - WANTED: A 24fps Super 8mm Projector for DIY Telecine

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: WANTED: A 24fps Super 8mm Projector for DIY Telecine
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:12 pm 
Film Expert

Hi guys,

I'm looking to find a good projector, possibly with a 5-Blade shutter, so I can match the transfer rate at 24fps for DIY Super 8 Telecine. I have a Super 8 camera that has a 24fps sync motor and need to have a consistent 24fps motor while transferring. I am not too familiar with which models would be good for the 24fps telecine and I don't have a ton of money to spend. I have heard that Elmo and Eumigs are usually the way to go though you guys may know a better solution. Any help would be appreciated. Please post on this topic any projectors that anyone would be willing to sell. Thanks!

-Peter

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: WANTED: A 24fps Super 8mm Projector for DIY Telecine
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:33 pm 
Film Pro

If you are transferring "on the fly" (in real time) to a NTSC video camera, you will need a 5 blade shutter, as you surmise. When there is no "flicker" in the output from the camera, as seen on the monitor, then your projector will be running at EXACTLY 24 fps.
You should use a projector that is NOT dependant on the mains frequency as this CAN vary slightly; even 0.2 hZ change will show up us a "flutter" in the transfer. If you can find a five blade machine of B&H origin, it should have a preset control for fine tuning the speed; usually this can be brought out on leads so you can monitor, and correct by hand if required , the transfer speed for no flicker.
That would be your "low price" option; crystal controlled projectors would be VERY pricey.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:46 pm 
Film Expert

Martin Jones wrote:
If you are transferring "on the fly" (in real time) to a NTSC video camera, you will need a 5 blade shutter, as you surmise. When there is no "flicker" in the output from the camera, as seen on the monitor, then your projector will be running at EXACTLY 24 fps.
You should use a projector that is NOT dependant on the mains frequency as this CAN vary slightly; even 0.2 hZ change will show up us a "flutter" in the transfer. If you can find a five blade machine of B&H origin, it should have a preset control for fine tuning the speed; usually this can be brought out on leads so you can monitor, and correct by hand if required , the transfer speed for no flicker.
That would be your "low price" option; crystal controlled projectors would be VERY pricey.

Thanks! That was extremely helpful! Do you have any B&H models in mind because I am not too familiar with which projectors have the capablilty of a 5-blade shutter?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:27 am 
Film Pro

Unfortunately, I am UK based and 5 bladed shutters are of no use whatsoever here... so we simply do not see them at all. Most of the well known US manufacturers have done 5 blade versions of their machines, so others should be able to make suggestions for you.
Or try Google searches.
Martin