8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - 16mm and S8mm? What's the overall difference in the two?

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: 16mm and S8mm? What's the overall difference in the two?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:40 am 
Film Expert

Thinking about purchasing a 16mm projector and wondered about difference in Image Size and picture quality compared to Super 8.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 16mm and S8mm? What's the overall difference in the two
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:29 pm 
Film Expert

I thnk a better question is what is on the market that you want to watch? Also, even though 16mm is obviously twice the image area of super 8 and it does reflect in picture quality, 16mm takes up a lot more storage space, the films are typically more expensive and harder to find and you are limited to optical audio tracks only. With super 8, even though the film is the same size at regular 8, you have twice the image area and it shows when you watch the films. Also from the late 60's to early 80's a ton literally tons of commercial releases were sold for super 8. If you watch the market on Ebay or on here you'll recognize several releases that show up time after time usually at good prices. Plus with super 8, you can have a large collection on a pretty small bookcase. Personally for my 16mm collection I have to use huge metal storage racks that take up a decent amount of room.
My suggestion, if you are interested in both formats, then go with both formats. Sometimes a 16mm print isn't available on super 8 and vice versa. Experiment with both before you choose one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:03 am 
Film Expert

Thanks Eric,

I have noticed that some 16mm prints are quite pricy and I am somewhat limited to space. I should consider this before deciding whether to purchase one or not.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:42 am 
Film Expert

I have to partially disagree with Eric. Yes 16mm takes more storage space and movies a heavier, so shipping will be more expensive. But there are far more titles available on 16mm than on super 8 (just go and check o ebay). High quality prints in super 8 (lpp and/or anamorphic Derann quality) are more expensive than 16mm. Super 8 was intended for home use, so you will usually find very popular stuff, very little indie, vanguard or foreign films. Super 8 was about shorts, actually there are very few S8 projectos that can handle 1200 ft reels. 16mm quality is far superior and you can get a nice projector for peanuts, I bought an ELMO-16 AL which is top of the line for just 50 USD and it can handle 2400 ft reels , a feature in two reels! The light bulb is 250 watts (an ELMO GS1200 is only 200) There is not such thing as a super8 IB Tech (technicolor) print. I started collecting super-8, now I almost exclusively collect 16mm. So it really depends on what kind of movies you like. I have paid 150 USD for 16mm mint complete prints of "Mississippi Burning", "The Fabulous Baker Boys" and "The African Queen" and as little as 100 USD for "Modern Times, "The Lady Vanishes" and "On the Water Front" just try finding one of this in super 8. My suggestion is take the best of both worlds, have both 16mm and S8.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:20 pm 
Film Expert

Overall, 16mm provides superior quality - sharper picture. Remember it's a professional gauge. 8mm was purely for home use. 16mm is the superior gauge.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

I collect both gauges including standard 8 sound, but I love the quest to find the rare bird. Like Mike said, 16mm has the best and most economical selection. I have super 8 prints that look better than some of my 16mm, but that is the exception and they are expensive and hard to find.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:51 am 
Film Expert

Thanks everybody. You have helped me in deciding to purchase my first 16mm. I have just finished closing a deal on ebay on an Elmo 16-CL. What size reel can these handle?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:17 am 
Site Admin

It can handle a 2000' or a 2300'. The 2300' is the same diameter as a 2000', except the center hub is smaller.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:19 pm 
Film Expert

My experience is that if you can afford it and are willing to deal with the occasional dud print turning up on your doorstep( which happens more in 16 than in 8), then 16mm collecting is much more rewarding.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:41 pm 
Film Expert

I have yet to see any super 8 print; even the best Derann Disney features they've done 15 years ago that beats 16. Actually, you can't compare the two. 16 can be up to five times sharper, more density and clearer. I've viewed both for years. Universal 8 did a great job with their 400' digests but I've seen 16mm 800' on the same movies and they were better quality.