8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - WTB Star Wars 400' digests LPP or LOW FADE stock

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: WTB Star Wars 400' digests LPP or LOW FADE stock
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:18 pm 
Film Expert

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am looking for the two 400 feet Star Wars digests in LPP or LOW FADE stock in mint condition. I have several copies of the Ken Films Star Wars digests in Eastman stock and all of them are fading or going red. Please send me a PM with price.

Regards

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: WTB Star Wars 400' digests LPP or LOW FADE stock
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:55 pm 
Film Expert

Hey Julian,
Sorry to tell you that the Ken Films Digests were made on Eastman for Star Wars cutdowns. I've been doing this for years now and I do have the first cutdown 400' print in pretty good color but I'm not selling it. Ken films wasn't around when LPP stock was on the market. Basically they used second-hand stock from any company willing to let go of excess product that's why Ken films are varied in how they survived. When I used Ebay over 10 years ago, I sold both the first and second (Gate-fold plastic cover) Star Wars 400' cutdowns. Those survived so well that the color was perfect. You could even see Luke's bright blue eye color. I've sold or kept other prints made the very same year that are nearly faded to white.
With Ken Films it's just a crap shoot unless the seller is a collector that has looked at the film or knows how to preserve it. Like I said, I have some that are thowaway but others that still have strong blue and green in them.
Ken and Lucasfilm never let the Star Wars film be printed by anyone else so Ken is your best chance at finding a good print but you may go through several to find one to your liking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:13 pm 
Film Expert

Hi Erik, thanks. I've read that some digests where printed in LPP or maybe AGFA or KODAK SP low fade stoke. But this was a random process, if it was LPP it might have been in the last years of KEN operation. I have heard of German prints of Star Wars in LPP even with scenes that are not included in the KEN digests. And there might be Italian Bootleg prints. I haven't been lucky when buying KEN prints, seems I have to keep out looking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:18 am 
Film Expert

You'r best bet Julian is to look for prints made after 1983. They will show up in plastic clam-shell cases with the same artwork as the 1977 release of the cutdown. If in a plastic case then that is the 2nd cutdown and starts with the cantena scene. If the reel is in a cardboard box then it is the first release from 1977 and is probably faded beyond recognition. I have one of them that was part of a private colletion and is faded but still has very good blue in the color.
When Empire Strikes Back was released Ken Films was on it's last leg and they released the 2nd Star Wars cutdown on much better film. They also released an Empire 400' cutdown that focused on Yoda on very good film that kept it's green and blue color very well.
You will probably have to look through several copies to find one that satifies you but they are out there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:46 am 
Film Expert

Hi Erik, thx for all the information. I will keep on searching.