8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Film splicer & splicing

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Film splicer & splicing
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:45 pm 
Film Expert

As a home movie user and getting into the collecting I'm looking for any info on a splicer and if to use tape or gule. If there is a difference for use in a projector I'm using two Elmo's a 16-cl and a GS1200 and a B&H dual 8 and a standard 8 which thanks to Dan now have a Halogen bulb in them. Been looking on Ebay and others places but a little info from someone who ueses one would help.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Film splicer & splicing
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:03 pm 
Film Expert

Just my opinion which probably isn't worth two cents but tape splices are the best. They can be replaced without losing any frames of film. As far as what is on the market, any splicer that handles super or regular 8 is fine as long as they accuratly cut off the film and line the next frame up. As far as tape, I used to use 35mm clear splicing tape which is no longer made. Today I use Scotch Moving and Storage tape since it seems to withstand projection tempratures without shrinking or melting but you have to cut it by hand. You can use pre-cut and sprocketed quick-splice tape but I am personally not sure when the last batches were made or if it's still being made.
For 16mm I got lucky several years ago and purchased a 'hot' splicer. Whatever tape is used is actually melted to the film and cut with sprockets in the process.
As far as glue splices, you would be hard-worked to find the chemicals to do that these days and the splices especially through an Elmo wouldn't be very succesful. The 1200 has some hard bends in the threading process that shred glue splices and you have to remove several frames of the original film to resplice the print back together. Also it's a very messy process.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:04 pm 
Film Expert

Thanks Erik. I remember reading some where about glue splices and getting stuck. Tape was my first choice and I would never think of packing tape.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:32 pm 
Film Expert

All kinds of splicing tapes can be found here: http://www.cutfilm.com/ They have 35mm tape, 16mm tape, 8mm tape, clear - white - yellow. Even perf repair tape. It is not quite as good as Film-Tech tape, but it is cheaper than Film-Tech when you can find it, and it is a lot stronger than scotch tape or packaging tape.

I do strongly suggest AGAINST press tapes. I have been told by at least a half dozen people that even the new batch stuff can stick to the paper and the supplier won't do anything about it. [set5_b/set5_b/boxing_smiley.gif]

They sell tape splicers...however you can get a used one fairly cheap on eaby.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:01 pm 
Film Expert

I want to quickly add to what Wayne mentioned. I feel tape splices are the best obviously. They are cheaper and products are much easier to find. If you are using an Elmo 1200 line either GS or ST, they are known for breaking older or newer glue splices because of the severe bends in the film path. Glue splices are stiff and unforgiving where the film has to curve to go through the film path. Been doing this a long time and tape splices are the easiest to clean and replace plus you don't lose any footage no matter what type of tape you use. If you can find one because they weren't availble for long, find a working hot splicer. This is mainly for 16mm but can be adapted for regular and super 8 but it is a unit that 'melts' tape to the film creating a really strong bond and less likely to trip a loop reset.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:48 am 
Film Expert

Thanks Eric, found a LPL 3way splicer for under 20.00 still in the box with instruction. have a small rewind for the 8mm (cheap set) but still loking for a good set that will work for all three 8,s8,16. Tape will be the way to go.