8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - EUMIG 824D SONOMATIC

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: EUMIG 824D SONOMATIC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 am 
Film Expert

EUMIG 824D SONOMATIC
(All 8mm gauges sound and silent)
Eumig proudly announced the arrival of this top machine with great acclaim ‘A projector in the highest class for all 8mm gauges’ and upon arrival it did not disappoint.
The 824D was to mark the end of the vast 800 series of sound projectors and at the time I remember feeling rather sad to see this particular range come to an end as it was really popular around the cine circuit for film makers and home projectionists, not least because the 824D had a new colour scheme, improved design and was pretty sexy to look at. It was the heaviest of the range weighing in at 8.5kg and also sported some heavy duty features including a frame counter, built in film trimmer, 15 watt amplification with 22 transistors, VU meter, tone control, twin track recording, a highly rated Suprogon f/1,2 zoom lens and extended frequency response of 75-12,000Hz.

This machine built still further on Eumig pedigree of solid construction and reliability and it did not disappoint the user. It topped the range even offering public address facility, high low lamp switching and the all important manual record level control for perfect recording of sound. Spool size was limited to 600ft spools which was an issue in the 80’s as we all craved 1200ft capacity for our lengthy shows. These days 600ft seems to be enough as the trend does seem to be to leave feature films in original boxes and on original 600ft reels. Company’s such as Spondon came to the rescue and produced long play units ideal for this machine and these were in use quite happily with the 824D machines I seem to remember.

The Eumig ‘Sonomatic’ sound recording system was a way of automatically fading in and out at a exact point in your home movie even to the exact frame. The system of editing or recording sound was proving so popular then that books were even produced to help you create what could have been the perfect sound track utilising Sonomatic. (Look out for the Max Abegg book ‘Supreme sound movie fun with Sonomatic’)

This machine has the 12volt 100watt lamp and a quality lens which projects a crisp image in either super 8 or standard 8mm. The largest Std 8 image I have projected would be 8ft, 10ft with Super 8 and using the internal amplification through an external Tannoy loud speaker with very good results. Images are steady and projecting either gauges with cement or tape spices are no problem to the 824D, providing splices are well made obviously as with all films.

Eumig machines had a very good and solid paint job and this one is easy to spot as the majority of the 824D is black. Once again they came in two incarnations which are easy to distinguish as follows. The first batch were with a higher gloss rear bodywork and the later versions were very close to a matt black, so if you start to look for this projector it is worth sticking to the less glossy rear finish as it will be of more recent construction. All in all then a desirable machine which only had one shortcoming that being the focus pin. For some reason Eumig at the last minute changed the type used on the 824D moving the locating pin onto the lens which does wear down if previous owners have been a bit heavy handed so worth watching out for worn lenses.

History says that these are one hell of a work horse machine and yes they in the main do seem to go forever. They are relatively simple to use and changing from 8mm to super 8mm is just a simple swap over of gates and sprockets. Removing the gate makes for very easy cleaning in the palm of your hand and I have found this particular model to be simply excellent in both audio playback and recording of sound. It’s a quick flick of a switch to get from 18 to 24fps and speeds in-between as well. Eumig came of age when the produced this model and I believe the name ‘High Quality Sound’ was fully justified shown on the front of the machine and a worthy ‘all gauge’ sound cine projector.

Main Spec
Lens as standard f/1,2 12.5-25mm multicoated
12v 100w lamp
18 to 24fps
600ft spool capacity
15 Watts audio output
Tone,Volume,Rec controls
Audio VU Meter

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: EUMIG 824D SONOMATIC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:52 am 
Film Expert

Nice review, Lee. Looks like a nice machine.
I wonder why Eumig never made a 1200ft capacity machine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

Great review, Lee! I'll take two of these magnificent machines. [set5_b/set5_b/cheers2.gif]

The tone control is a real plus, as is the 1.2 lens, especially for std 8 viewing. Can you release the film from the path mid way through? Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to do this with my Mark 812 D.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:27 am 
Film Expert

None of the 800 range allowed removal of the film from the sound head area which if it was a feature you were hoping for you could be disappointed, but I have never found this to be a feature needed this end although it may come in handy for some perhaps.
[set5_b/set5_b/troll.gif]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:50 am 
Film Expert

Thanks Lee for this informative piece. Is this the last 8mm machine designed ? As I have obtained a couple of nice std 8mm features, I was thinking what is the std 8mm equivalent of the Elmo GS. I guess it's this machine then, apart rom reel capacity ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:29 am 
Film Expert

Hi Alexander. As far as a modern dual gauge projector is concerned then this is it being the last in the line for Standard and Super 8mm Sound. The Eumig 822D is the next model down in the traditional black & white livery and also a very good projector for Standard 8mm Sound film. You do regularly see Eumig 800 range projectors at film fairs here and of course over the internet for sale as Eumig were indeed the largest manufacturer of cine projectors in the world so with a little patience a good machine can be found. But yes, if you are after a modern Std 8 sound projector then look for a 824D or 822D. The 822D is missing some of the extra features though with no VU meter, manual recording and a f/1,3 lens instead of the f/1,2 etc.

For Standard 8mm Sound film lovers I guess you could call the 824D a sort of GS1200 for the gauge, but as we all know the Elmo GS1200 is an entirely different beast. Eumig produced the machine with a single drive motor, in a compact design which is more of less shoulder bag size and light to carry. Lifting a 14Kg GS1200 is a great lump when looking at the Eumig 824D.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:17 pm 
Film Expert

I have an 824 in mint shape with carrying case, manual and extras. Unsure if I wanna sell, though.

Smiles,
John