8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - reel sizes

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: reel sizes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:18 pm 
Film Expert

Could some one tell me the different reel sizes that are available in 35mm?

I have 2 trailers on cores and I wanted to put them on a reel and was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Thanks, Bill :?:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: reel sizes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

I don't have room to do 35mm but, i did find this on Wekipedia:

"A so-called "two-reeler" would have run about 20–24 minutes since the actual short film shipped to a movie theater for exhibition may have had slightly less (but rarely more) than 1000 ft (about 305 m) on it. Most modern projectionists use the term "reel" when referring to a 2,000-foot (610 m) "two-reeler," as modern films are rarely shipped by single 1,000-foot (300 m) reels. A standard Hollywood movie averages about five 2000-foot reels in length."

I am sure someone else will know the answer.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:08 am 
Film Expert

Hi Bill. As our Dan says 2000ft reels are the standard and I have made up trailer reels on these. Most of the trailers you will pick up are about two and a half minutes as a rough guide and a 2000ft reel does about 20 odd minutes so you can see how many trailers fit on these reels. The lower cost portable 35mm film projectors take 2000ft spools in the main such as the blue Zeiss Ikon machines by the way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:09 pm 
Film Expert

Hi guys, I don't have room for 35mm either, but we do have a decorative reel with trailers. Beyond that, I find it generally interesting. So let me add something to Dan & Lee's information by expressing it in terms of diameters.

The old-era 1000' reels were about 10 1/2 inches in diameter. That's like our 800' 8mm or 16mm reels, except they had a really small hub so the reel spun like a top when it got to the end. The 2000' reels are (as you'd expect) 15 inches, though older variations might run more like 14 1/2. Then you go upwards with 3000' reels at 17 inches, 5 or 6 thousand feet at 23 inches, and so forth. I've heard of sizes up to 40 inches (what would that be? 4 hours?).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:23 pm 
Film Expert

Thanks guys! The info is helpful. I have no way of playing my trailers but I would like to get a reel to put them on.

Bill :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:02 pm 
Film Expert

I have 100' reels, 400' reels, 1000' reels, 2000' reels, 6000' reels and several 12,000' reels in 35mm. Can one post photos on these reply's? I have 4 screening rooms in my home. The movie barn, the backyard Drive-in, the garage in 35mm and one 16mm room in the garage. The 35mm in the garage has a Peerless carbon arc lamp which we vent out the side door. My wife says that if I bring in anymore film equipment, she's going to leave me. Gosh I'm going to miss her!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:27 pm 

John--
Welcome to the Forum! Yes, you may certainly post pictures (see the attachment and "browse" at the bottom of the "reply" screen) and with screening setups such as you describe, I say post away. I'd love to see the pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:01 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I'd love to see the pictures.

Me too!

John I met you last weekend at the Oliver Hardy Festival in Harlem. I was projecting super 8 two reelers all day. Welcome to the forum.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:46 am 
Film Expert

Yes Dan. It was a pleasure to meet you. I was so glad to see film being projected. I even wrote the City of Harlem and pointed that out. My daughter got teary-eyed as she listened to the audience laugh. I told her, "Now you get it! Now you know why we love to entertain and with film!"

Tried to post a photo but it won't let me. Sorry!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:08 am 
Film Expert

By the way, here's my life's story about growing up in the drive-in. Please read if you can't sleep.

http://www.columbusgeorgiaonline.com/drive-in-chap1/