8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Can a Print Warp and Have No VS Smell?

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Can a Print Warp and Have No VS Smell?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

I have a print of Martin & Lewis's Sailor Beware and reel 2 is warped looking on the side of the reel. It doesn't go in and out of focus when viewing. Not a trace of vinegar smell on the reel two either.

So, can a this happen and the print not have vinegar syndrome?

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Can a Print Warp and Have No VS Smell?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:49 am 
Film Expert

Certainly can. I had a couple prints like this. I treated them both with Peter Goed's LFP and they straightened out. There was no VS smell. There are pics somewhere on Mike Coffin's site of this.

Sometimes a print can develop what appears to be a benign warp for some reason.

Storing the print reverse wound can sometimes alleviate this and it worked for me on a print years ago before I'd heard of Peter's stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:40 pm 
Film Expert

Dan, this isn't a print with vinigar syndrome. I have several Rascals prints with the same problem. What you are facing is the film base drying out and losing it's flexibility which can lead to easy breaking. I know I use different products but I used Filmrenew and let my prints soak for a couple days in them and they returned for the most part to normal. Still brittle but better than before warping. Now, the prints I have been working on are family owned personal films in Ectachrome not B&W safety stock but had the same problem. No vinigar problem but they were dry as the desert. Color and B&W stock have the same problem. As long as you keep them lubed you should be alright as far as preservation. I think your problem is just a dry print. Easy to handle.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:00 pm 
Film Expert

[set5_b/set5_b/iagree.gif]

Dan (or anyone), try this...and I'm not kidding...it will help your warp...mixture 40-42 lavender oil 70% and castor oil 30% to start.
OR 60% Lavender Oil 20% Castor Oil 20% Camphor Oil.

To be used just like pure camphor or LFP. Place film on metal reel, add a couple teaspoons of mixture to lab can, have something to elevate film reel so it does not touch mixture, close lab can, check in a week or so...if dry, wind film opposite of what you have now...add more mixture and so on until warp is gone.

I can tell you in a PM how this formula was created...I won't do it in a public setting.

Last edited by Wayne Tuell on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:24 pm 
Film Expert

Erik Schoolcraft wrote:
As long as you keep them lubed you should be alright as far as preservation. I think your problem is just a dry print. Easy to handle.

not sure if I 100% agree. The "lube" part of the "popular" film cleaner is only a cheap wax powder. Even the guy who sells the "popular" cleaner can't get warps out of all films with his own product...it is easy to handle a dry print...Mike's use of Peter's LFP is spot on...I have done the same...and also the formula I posted. In short, the vapors get into the film base and make them pliable again.

Dan, have you ever had an I.B. print warp that didn't have vs? [set5_b/set5_b/boxing_smiley.gif]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:44 pm 
Film Expert

for what it is worth, letting the cat out of the bag about filmrenew being mineral spirits with added synthetic wax...it can get you BANNED from Urbanski's website [set5_b/set5_b/rofl.gif] Just ask me how I know [set5_b/set5_b/party.gif]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

Mike, i will store it reverse wound untill I can whip up Waynes formula.

I don't use Film Renew much because of the stout smell. I don't have any ventilation in my work area. Film Guard is what I use mostly. I have never soake a print either, probably becaouse of the lack of a decent work area to handle chemicals..

Quote:
it can get you BANNED from Urbanski's website Just ask me how I know

I was banned from the old eFilm forum for making a suggestion pertianing to hes wanting to charge members for sale threads. There is no forum policy here. I do have a word censor that replaces the bad word with the word "peaches". Bad words like peaches. [set5_b/set5_b/cuss.gif] [set5_b/set5_b/smilielol5.gif]

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:16 pm 
Film Expert

I'd love to hear Larry's excuse for deactivating my account...I was unaware of any policy where if he does not like what you say on another forum could get you banned from his....or was it the fact that he reads private PM's? I guess anything is fair game now...what is the worst that can happen...put a black mark on my permanent record that will follow me for the rest of my life? [set5_b/set5_b/smilielol5.gif]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:55 pm 
Film Expert

Wow. Call me out for not even knowing Urbanski had a forum. Have been using his products for years and doing business with him for awhile now but didn't know this was his temper. I've always had great dealings with people on this forum and have made a lot of friends lately and even since I joined. I don't see a need to ban anyone unless they commit some sort of fraud. As far as I know trade among collectors is still allowed in this country.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:02 pm 
Film Expert

By the way, this is for Dan Lail,
Filmrew does stink like peaches. (Said Peaches intentionally) Not sure other peoples responses with it but it did work for me on 16mm print vinigar films. I also don't have a huge house so the stink was all over. Not endorsing the product anymore though since Larry seems to have flipped a lid.