8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Question About An Eiki Slot Load II

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Re: Question About An Eiki Slot Load II
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:23 pm 
Film Expert

Not sure what problems Mike had with this model but I've always had good luck with mine. You didn't mention Dan if it played films well. If it does then I don't see any poiint in replacing it. Just unthread the film before rewinding. I know mine has a very steady picture although it hates splices and throws a complete tantrum when it finds one most of the time. Other than that parts are pretty easy to still find and it uses very little power overall.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:10 pm 
Film Expert

:D
I had no real problems as such, Eric. I just didn't like not being able to see that rear sprocket before engaging it. Perhaps just an OCD thing with me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:03 pm 
Film Expert

That could be. If you engage the projection handle halfway you could see three rollers engage the film in the rear just before the motor kicks in. Does cause concern because it really doesn't have a rear sprocket. From the sound head it is pretty much just controling the film by tension rollers and no sprockets. This worried me when I started showing WW2 era films on it afraid it would start breaking film on startup but I haven't had problems with it since it was delivered to me and I still use it today. Was concerned that you had a serious projection problem with it was why I brought it up. Also, I like Dan and wanna help in any way I can.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:35 am 
Film Expert

Hmmmm....mine had a rear sprocket, old chap. Maybe I had an earlier model. Do you have a picture you can post?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:53 pm 
Film Expert

I'll see what I can do, I only have a webcam here but I'll try to post a pic. As far as models I don't think there was much variation in this since it was the last Eiki made. In mine there are no sproket rollers past the gate. Once the film passed the gate everything was pretty much passive flat rollers except for the sound head pincher. After that there is nothing but a 3-roller gear which wraps around the film when you engage for projection. No sprockets in the path.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:38 pm 
Film Expert

You may be right, Erik. It doesn't sound right to me though. So you're saying just one sprocket in the machine?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:58 pm 
Film Expert

Erik, check it out. This manual shows clearly the rear or No 2 sprocket.

http://www.k3camera.com/pdfs/eiki/2009- ... manual.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:25 pm 
Film Expert

Looked at it tonight. It has a feed sprocket when the film goes in and another sprocket as the film leaves the gate. Other than that there are nothing but tension rollers guiding the film past the sound head or out of the back of the projector. Maybe mine was a different design but personally I didn't think there were any variations of this projector. I thought they all worked the same and were only on the market for a couple years for schools. I'll have to wait until the weekend but I can take it apart and take pics if you want to see the film path. Pretty simple in design and works well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:23 pm 
Film Expert

Did you look at the manual I linked to?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:52 pm 
Film Expert

Hey Mike,
Mystery may be solved. The manual you liked to was for a 3001 series Eiki. Mine from the badge attatched to it is a 2000 series Eiki. It uses a 200Watt 24v lamp and only has two sprocket gears. Given mine was rebuilt before I purchased it so I don't really know if modifications were made but I know that after the film passes the gate, there is only one sprocket gear to pull it through then the rest are either passive rollers or one tension roller before the sound head.