8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Modern prints

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Modern prints
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:50 pm 
Film Expert

I have a question. I know it's been about 10 years since I collected 16mm but in that time I bought several prints of current (At the time) films on 16mm that were used in multiplexes mainly in Canada. I was wondering if they are still being printed. Today's films that is. I have prints here from Roger Rabbit to Any Given Sunday to Face Off. Yes, I know they were from the 90's. I've never seen any of these prints on the market but I have them here. Are these prints still being made for the multiplexes or when did that end? By the way, the prints I have are all on extremely dense Kodak stock and still in full color with no fade. Probably LPP stock.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Modern prints
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:04 am 
Film Expert

Most agree that CARS was the last of the 16mm features printed.

For what it is worth, Roger Rabbit was one of my favorite titles when the kids were growing up. We watched it a LOT outside with the Xenon pedestal & huge blow-up screen. (we even had a 16mm trailer for it not just a 30 sec. t.v. spot)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

The most recent 16mm I have is Knight Moves with Christopher Lambert. I believe that was released in 1991. It's a gorgeous LPP scope print. I imagine there are some illusive prints out there from small theaters in remote parts of the world.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:27 pm 
Film Expert

Most of the films released for multiplexes were either flat or cropped. I know all the ones I have are presented flat unfortunatly. Haven't found any recent prints in scope. I've watched Roger Rabbit numerous times with friends and it's stll a guilty pleasure of mine. My print of Any Given Sunday is flat also but very interesting since it is about a half hour longer than the DVD version with tons of extra dialog and scenes that weren't in the home version. I remember running this same film in the theater and it didn't have the extra footage the 16mm print has. Director's version maybe? I know the DVD Director's version of Dances With wolves was over 4-1/2 hours long but so worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:49 pm 
Film Expert

May have made a mistake, I do have a print here that is in Scope that I don't really know if it was a theater release or not but is a Disney print on LPP that I've treasured for years. The Journey of Natti Gann. This was released when I was a kid so not sure what it was intended for. Remember watching Disney films in grade school but they were all flat prints.