8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Any MARC High Intensity Arc Projector Info

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Any MARC High Intensity Arc Projector Info
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

Are people still using the B&H Marc High Intensity ARC Projectors? I have one at the moment, but the lamp is blown. I've seen the lamps for sale online for $300. Any place to buy them cheaper?

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Any MARC High Intensity Arc Projector Info
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:36 am 
Film Expert

Try Dave Guest as he is our resident 16mm man or perhaps Classic Home Cinema.
[set5_b/set5_b/troll.gif]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:04 pm 
Film Expert

Keith Wilton uses one of these at the BFCC gatherings.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

At $300 a pop and averaging 75 hours, this could be expensive. [set5_b/set5_b/piggy.gif] I'll contact Dave G. and CHC. Thanks.

What's the contact for Keith Wilton?

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:23 pm 
Film Expert

You should be able to contact him through the BFCC site:

www.bfcc.biz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:09 pm 
Film Expert

I had a new B&H 16mm projector about 1970-72 with a GE marc 300 lamp, or should I say twenty or more marc 300 lamps in about four months operating in one of my country cinemas one evening a week. I asked GE why some lamps only lasted a half hour and others went for about 50 hours. They sent me some very helpful info but I ended up selling that B&H to another exhibitor very cheaply.

Some lamps would strike well the first time and last for the first half of the show and then not strike after interval. Others would run several sessions before the mica (glass) began to "devitrify, which looks like fine cracking around the entrance of the electrodes into the mica envelope. Sooner or later these lamps would lose their mercury gas and then not strike. All of these lamps very quickly developed a strange white substance inside the envelope, filling the arc area so you couldn't see the electrodes, and this would lower the light output to less than half that of a new lamp. The light from a new lamp appeared very white compared to xenon but marc 300 lamps were very unstable and likely to stop working if you happened to blink one eye in the projection room. *grin*

Dan if you need tech info for marc 300 lamps I'll search out the pages of info sent to me by General Electric all those years ago, that I'm sure I will still have around here somewhere. I'll then scan them and email them to you or post them on the forum. Just let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:13 pm 
Film Expert

I just realised your post about marc 300 lamps was way back in October 2011. Do you still need a lamp, or info about these 'orrible lamps?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:16 pm 
Film Expert

General Electric published the lamp technical specifications in their Photo Lamps Catalogs of the 1980s.

In general, the arc lamp power supplies were made by two companies: General Electric and Sylvania. Sylvania made the "ColorArc 300" (their copy of a Marc 300) power supply for Eiki in the early 1970s. General Electric made the vast majority of the Marc 300 and 350 power supplies from 1965 through 1982. In 1983, G.E. decided to get out of the power supply business and sold the Marc 300 power supply division to a group of G.E. employees. Those employees formed the company called North American Power Supplies (N.A.P.S. ). The company closed around 1992.

G.E. made most of the Marc lamp supplies for the major 16mm projector manufacturers: Bell & Howell, Singer-Graflex, Viewlex, Kalart-Victor, and Kodak. Eiki generally used Sylvania to make the power supplies until 1977.