8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - As you were

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: As you were
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:15 am 
Film Expert

While doing our flea market-resale shop run I found some films. The first box has "As you were" with William Tracy and a bunch of soundies. It was in a box with others for $20.00. It is in good condition. Is anyone familiar with it? There are more films to check but this one was on top.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: As you were
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

Mike, it's from 1951 and runs 57 minutes. Below is what I found on IMDB:

"This is the seventh of eight Sergeant Doubleday films. William Tracy played the goofy but likable Doubleday and his sometime nemesis/sometime friend, Sergeant Ames, was played by Joe Sawyer. I've seen all but two of these films and I just happened upon the last two by mistake. I rented a B-movie from Netflix ("Gasoline Alley") and it included the final two Doubleday films as bonus films. Not all of them were great, but several of the films (especially the first, "Tanks A Million") were exceptional--especially given their small budgets. So which is "As You Were"--one that isn't so great or one that's exceptional? At under one hour, this is among the shortest films in the series. Oddly, despite its short running time, a chunk of the first portion of the film is simply lifted from "Tanks a Million"--meaning that they really didn't do all that much in "As You Were" compared to the other Doubleday films.

The film begins with Doubleday no longer in the army. However, when he hears old Sergeant Ames recruiting soldiers, Doubleday is convinced to re-enlist--much to Ames' chagrin. It's odd, as Ames completely hates Doubleday in this film--much like he did in the first couple films. However, in the films in between, they became friends---and yet, oddly, this is forgotten--as if the writer never saw all the previous films. And, like the earlier films, every time Ames tries to get Doubleday in trouble, it ends up backfiring onto him. Eventually, it looks as if Ames' efforts might just get them BOTH into huge trouble. Can Doubleday manage to find a way to get them on the Colonel's good side--as well as get the Colonel to forget that they were caught in WAC's clothing? Is this, perhaps, the first case of 'Don't Ask/Don't Tell' in army history? All in all, this is neither a very good nor a poor entry in the series. The writing was inconsistent but also funny in places and easy to enjoy. Worth seeing but not one you should rush to get on DVD."

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:16 pm 
Film Expert

Thanks Dan. It sounds like a good movie for a pot luck movie night. 2 other reels say Rocketship X-M them and they are in good shape also.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Did you say Rocketship X-M and Them?? Wow, these are both hard to find classics. Rocketship X-M is in black and white with a color sequence. Let me know if it has the color sequence. Was this $20 for the box or per film?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:09 pm 
Film Expert

Rocketship xm it's in black and white I just unrolled a few feet and seen it stars Lloyd Bridges. I don't know about a color sequence. How far in is it? The "Them" word is a mistake I had my granddaughter on my lap while typing. Renegade Girl is another title that was in the box. There were 2 boxes 20.00 each. I bought both. I need to go thru them better and I can update more. No VS smell either. Dusty on the edges but that all I can see.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:33 pm 
Film Expert

small reels like shorts

Brat Cat
Rumba Rhythm
Hits of the Nineties
Dances of India
Challenge of Outer Space- This almost 1600 ft
The Lagoon
Tanganyika Vista
A Bit of Blarney- castle film
NBC-Fishing Salmon with Lee Wulff
Kings of the Arctic-pictoreel

There a some 2000ft reels I will check out tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure where the color sequence is. I've never watched Rocketship X-M before.

Quote:
There a some 2000ft reels I will check out tomorrow.

That sounds like fun. Some real finds may surface.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:37 pm 
Film Expert

The Taming of Dorothy is another I just found. None of the reels are labeled. No labels on the films and the films were in boxes all mixed up and very dusty. Each reel of Dorothy was in different boxes. There is a soundie of Desi Arnaz performing some songs with his orchestra.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
There is a soundie of Desi Arnaz performing some songs with his orchestra.

I'll bet one of those soundies is Piccolo Pete.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:38 pm 
Film Expert

Cuban Pete. We really liked it. I never really watched Lucy but he was enjoyable here. Another reel has the first part of Atlantic Flight from 1937. Its raining here so its a good day sort things out.